BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys we're leaving Asheville NC on the 19th Oct. headed for Barber Vintage Festival via, Knoxville, Chattanooga and on through to Birmingham. Taking the SO, and older brother is riding along for some therapy, racen and cold beer, once the kickstand is down of course.
Anybody been there / done that, could use some information good or bad. I need road info. as far as construction, conditions, traffic during week day driving, what and where to avoid. Going to pace the ride and flow with traffic, not to try to burn up the super-slab. Time is important but we have an extra two days built in for a total of five days for the journey. A good place to eat would be nice, ( not to far off the beaten path ) and gotta have a clean place to pee, the SO has spoken....I know you've heard that one before. Also need info. on where and what to do while we're at Barber, best watering holes, bike shops, track points to watch the field........

Thanks
Ricky Joe

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
uh be sure to see the museum and allow for at least a whole day cause at last count there were 726 vehicles on display and 300 in hiding. If you see George tell him Floyd and David says hello.

Also bring lots of film or plenty digital space, you will want pics I guarantee!!

You will see many bikes you never saw before yea!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
kosmo said:
Hey guys we're leaving Asheville NC on the 19th Oct. headed for Barber Vintage Festival via, Knoxville, Chattanooga and on through to Birmingham. Taking the SO, and older brother is riding along for some therapy, racen and cold beer, once the kickstand is down of course.
Anybody been there / done that, could use some information good or bad. I need road info. as far as construction, conditions, traffic during week day driving, what and where to avoid. Going to pace the ride and flow with traffic, not to try to burn up the super-slab. Time is important but we have an extra two days built in for a total of five days for the journey. A good place to eat would be nice, ( not to far off the beaten path ) and gotta have a clean place to pee, the SO has spoken....I know you've heard that one before. Also need info. on where and what to do while we're at Barber, best watering holes, bike shops, track points to watch the field........

Thanks
Ricky Joe
Well your in luck with the road construction in Chattanooga, they just finished the I 75 ...it open for 4 -6 lanes...but still got some barrels out and a couple of bottle neck areas near exit 11 (Ooltewah)....

Nearing Birmingham take the 459 bypass to I-20 East and exit 140 will get you Barber's... a couple of motels at exit 140...but not far from Barber's and exit 140 is 29 Dreams, a motocycle community... http://www.29dreams.com/ call ahead for cabin... they have shower house and good food...but in my opinion kinda noisy...especially on the weekends...but they have the beer and maybe a band... a lot of drop in loud motorcycle traffic..

Barber's , just about anywhere is a good place on the track, When you visit the museum, like Floyd said, take a lot of time and pictures... you'll be able to see the track from the museum and get a very good idea of the track layout...

Eats... Chattanooga has some great Bar B Q, from fast food Bar B Q such as Sticky Fingers to small mom and pop, like Couch's BBQ since 1949...

Fort Payne...is mostly dry (without beer) and fast or chain food only...

Hope this helps...have a great trip...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Couch's BBQ

Don, Is that the one out toward Signal Mountain?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Hey Al, Couch's is on Old Lee Highway in Ooltewah!

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Ranger6 said:
Don, Is that the one out toward Signal Mountain?
As Brett said, Couch's is exit 11 (my exit) then right and right again in 200 feet and then down the road about 1. 5 miles...

Another one in the area is "Smokey Bones" on E Brainard...

The one near Signal Mountain entrance is the Rib Shack or Bar B Shack or something like that... good too. mostly carry out..if it the one I am thinking of.

My Brett can tell us his favorite in the area..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts