BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
75 Posts
Nice job on the retrofit. When time permits flip those hold down plates 180 degrees as from my understanding they are on upside down. Even some of BMW’s promotional videos have them on upside down and even seen one case where one was each way.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job on the retrofit. When time permits flipped those hold down plates 180 degrees as from my understanding they are on upside down. Even some of BMW’s promotional videos have then on upside down and even seen one case where one was each way.
Interesting since that's how I took them off, crazy.

Steve

· Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Nice job on the retrofit. When time permits flip those hold down plates 180 degrees as from my understanding they are on upside down. Even some of BMW’s promotional videos have them on upside down and even seen one case where one was each way.
Hmm. Not too sure about the newer models but my '15 has the wider part to the top, just like Motor32 shows in his video. I've never seen them with the narrower part of the plate to the top. ¯\(?)

· Premium Member
75 Posts
Hmm. Not too sure about the newer models but my '15 has the wider part to the top, just like Motor32 shows in his video. I've never seen them with the narrower part of the plate to the top. ¯\(?)
If you google 2022 R1250RT and pull up the imagines of which there is a hundred or more nearly all of them show the narrower part at the top. All 3 dealers in MN are mounting them with the large part inward on the bottom. I’m not suggesting I’m right just passing along my experience.

Sorry to change this thread away from the reconfigured screen so hopefully back to Motorhead 32 topic of post.

· Registered
221 Posts
If you google 2022 R1250RT and pull up the imagines of which there is a hundred or more nearly all of them show the narrower part at the top. All 3 dealers in MN are mounting them with the large part inward on the bottom. I’m not suggesting I’m right just passing along my experience.

Sorry to change this thread away from the reconfigured screen so hopefully back to Motorhead 32 topic of post.
I know look in the service manual, oh I forgot you can't get one for the new RTs. :mad:

Reactions: beech

· Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I know look in the service manual, oh I forgot you can't get one for the new RTs. :mad:
That's a great id..--- wait, what service manual would that be ----------- ????
Ignorant question, I know - but how does BMW get away with not making service manuals available for their machines, for their customers?

Here's what I know for a fact: in all the years I've owned/ridden BMW motorcycles, I have never bought a new bike that I could not get a service manual for.

That will NOT change.

· Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
206 Posts
@Motor32, great job retrofitting. Your frugality is commendable. Any trouble drilling the plastic?

This first photo I posted of my bike, @darrell PMd me because my covers were also upside-down (I think it is officially a crusade now) ;). Turns out that when you turn them around, they do follow the lines of the windshield mounts better. Had to do the same thing with the rear shocks on my Harley... the factory (or dealer) put those on upside-down as well. Another reason why the next bike was a BMW.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Motor32, great job retrofitting. Your frugality is commendable. Any trouble drilling the plastic?

This first photo I posted of my bike, @darrell PMd me because my covers were also upside-down (I think it is officially a crusade now) ;). Turns out that when you turn them around, they do follow the lines of the windshield mounts better. Had to do the same thing with the rear shocks on my Harley... the factory (or dealer) put those on upside-down as well. Another reason why the next bike was a BMW.
No, it drilled like butter.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know. I've drilled windshields before (not for this bike) that caught and cracked. Destroyed the whole thing.
Just start small and slow and it was all good. Here's the link for the drills I used.

· Registered
520 Posts
Do NOT use a standard drill bit you would use to drill metal!!! The easiest to use are the single cutting edge drills like the pine cone shaped step drills. These are best also because you sometimes need a fairly large hole.

· Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
331 Posts
I did the same except I used the pine shaped bit which was very easy to use as it starts small and gets to the size you want.
The other thing I did different was prefilled the old holes with epoxy, let it set and then drilled. Didnt want spare holes.
Mine wasnt for frugality as such. I'd love a new screen as my old one is scratched. Shipping and excessive USD to AUD makes it nearly a $500 screen!!
Ill wait. I've done 31,000 kms in 12 months with the screen. No issues otherwise.

· Registered
520 Posts
I'd love a new screen as my old one is scratched. Shipping and excessive USD to AUD makes it nearly a $500 screen!!
Ill wait.
If you have polishing equipment and compounds, along with some experience, you can remove about any scratch or swirl from the Quiet Ride screens.......

· Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
206 Posts
Do NOT use a standard drill bit you would use to drill metal!!! The easiest to use are the single cutting edge drills like the pine cone shaped step drills. These are best also because you sometimes need a fairly large hole.
Yep. Step drill bits are what they're called, and they are awesome for plastic. They'll even chamfer the edge a bit for you. Didn't take long to learn that a $40 step drill bit costs less than the thing you just destroyed.

· Registered
43 Posts

I had to walk out to the garage and check but my '23 has wider part at the bottom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts