BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried out the RAM mount I had installed under the left crash bar, the video turned out better than I had expected. I'm using a small 3CCD Panasonic GS150 camcorder with image stabilization. The video can be viewed at this link:

http://www.kevindaugherty.com/RIDES/01_12_08.html

What do you think? Not bad for a first try...can't wait for warm weather to get some group riding action!

·
Registered
6 Posts
awesome video Kevin, thans for sharing it. Do you have any shots of the camera mounted to the bike? I'd love to see it. i'm thinking mounting one myself and I can share the scenery out here in maryland.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some photos of the camera mount if someone could help me understand how to upload them...when I select the "insert Image" tag I get an "edit the text to be formatted" dialog box...?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
studio4design said:
I tried out the RAM mount I had installed under the left crash bar, the video turned out better than I had expected. I'm using a small 3CCD Panasonic GS150 camcorder with image stabilization. The video can be viewed at this link:

What do you think? Not bad for a first try...can't wait for warm weather to get some group riding action!
Very nice job with the camera set up and the quality of the video!

Now go find some twisties:)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice and steady as she goes. Also interesting to watch the front suspension at work. Keep us up to date as you fine tune the installation. Barnett

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tmans said:
awesome video Kevin, thans for sharing it. Do you have any shots of the camera mounted to the bike? I'd love to see it. i'm thinking mounting one myself and I can share the scenery out here in maryland.

I've posted photos on the original video page, or the direct link to view them is:

http://www.kevindaugherty.com/RIDES/photos1.html

As you can see I'm using a wide angle lens attachment and the cord you see goes to a remote mic that is under the seat to reduce the wind noise that would be recorded otherwise.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Kevin nice job! How is the weather there?
I am having bad case of PMS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gglove said:
Kevin nice job! How is the weather there?
I am having bad case of PMS.

The weather sucks today (snow, freezing rain), yesterday when the video was taken, it was sunny and a blistering 42 degrees! Nice ride, I really enjoyed getting the bike out.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Weather not great here as well. Just a few months away and we will be riding as much as we like :D
I am off to Hawaii is ten days for two weeks, wish I could bring the bike!

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Mount options

Thanks for sharing Kevin. A video record of our travels is one of my new year resolutions. Also bought Ram mounts but plan to attach to the reservoir covers. See you mount the camera on a sponge, did this help much ? Woolly gave me the hint to use the short mount arm to avoid vibration issues. Handy having a remote mike, cannot do with our little JVC, Oh well. Just one thought, the Ram mount position while giving a good perspective, looks prone to damage in the event of " the dreaded drop " It will be interesting to see what level of vibration we get, as Jenna had a Wilbers upgrade which does make for a stiffer ride. Looking forward to some excellent videos. Now as noted above: Go find some twisties. :dance:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hilton said:
Thanks for sharing Kevin. A video record of our travels is one of my new year resolutions. Also bought Ram mounts but plan to attach to the reservoir covers. See you mount the camera on a sponge, did this help much ? Woolly gave me the hint to use the short mount arm to avoid vibration issues. Handy having a remote mike, cannot do with our little JVC, Oh well. Just one thought, the Ram mount position while giving a good perspective, looks prone to damage in the event of " the dreaded drop " It will be interesting to see what level of vibration we get, as Jenna had a Wilbers upgrade which does make for a stiffer ride. Looking forward to some excellent videos. Now as noted above: Go find some twisties. :dance:

Looking forward to capturing some of the great roads we have here in the Midwest, I'll be sure to post them for you guys to view. You're right about the camera location being risky, one drop and it's toast...fortunately I've not had that happen...yet.

The shock absorbing material I used was actually a mouse pad that I cut to fit the camera mount, I think it does help with the engine vibration somewhat, but I haven't filmed without it so...more on that to come.

The sound was unusable before the remote mic, unless you really like the hurricane sound! I'd also like to try a reservoir mount to get a different perspective, send us some photos when you get yours installed.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I would be so worried about dropping the bike with the camera there, that I would drop the bike!
I put mine on a handlebar mount - no dirt on the screen and no vibration.
Would love a helmet cam so I could look over at stuff, but not found the right one yet

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
Standing By to Stand By

" The sound was unusable before the remote mic, unless you really like the hurricane sound! I'd also like to try a reservoir mount to get a different perspective, send us some photos when you get yours installed. "

Will do Kevin, round mid to late Feb before I can send some pics.
Cheers Hilton

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quick tip guys. ALWAYS mount the camera so you get some of the car/bike in shot. Just a video of the road is VERY dull and could have been shot from anything.
Kevin's video is excellent and an example of how it SHOULD be done.
Simon

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cool; great food for the imagination!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
studio4design said:
the cord you see goes to a remote mic that is under the seat to reduce the wind noise
Nice job on the video, I enjoyed it.
I found it rather humorous that you would put the mike "under the seat" to reduce wind noise,
I would think that it would "pick up" some other wind noises there of the thunderous variety. :)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The few videos I've shot all had a lot of wind noise. All I did was delete the sound when I edited it then add music. I love the Idea of mounting it at the tip over wing. Now to the garage to fab up a mount. :D
Well the Mount is made. i use a piece of 1/8 inch steel , cut it to 1 1/2 inch wide X 8 inch long. Made a few bends , drilled it out to fit the screws already in the tip over wing. Also used another piece of steel inside the wing for strength. I had an old mini tripod that I took apart and used to mount the camera to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Well done! Thanks for sharing. I liked the perspective that your mount provided.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
studio4design said:

Very nice indeed! I bookmarked it so I can go for a ride whenever I want to. :D Winter is the pits here in central Illinois. Looks like I might get a chance to ride this coming weekend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts