BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a good bit of plastic buzzing from my fairings for as long as I can remember, at idle it was pretty noisy, but was pretty quiet when on the road. It always sounded like it was coming from the dash area when I was sitting on the bike, and could never figure out what was doing it. I was fiddling with the bike out in the garage the other day, and had it idling, it was buzzing away. I got off the bike and was trying to figure out what was vibrating so much, so I started pushing on different places on the fairing, when I pushed on the front lower section just behind the front tire, it stopped. I took the fairing piece off, and discovered that it was rubbing/vibrating against one of the radiator hoses....strange.. It had actually worn a spot on the back of the fairing, and started to wear into the hose. Not to the point I would worry about the hoses integrity, but wear non the less. The PO had dropped the bike pretty hard on the left side, but other than a few scratches and cracked plastic, the bike seems to be OK, anybody else experience that front fairing piece rubbing on the radiator hose? I attached a piece of self adhesive foam to the back side of the fairing, and now no buzzy vibro noise at idle anymore...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Did you check closely to make sure your hoses are routed properly? Maybe just a slight twist with the clamps loosened would do the trick.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the same rattling on my 03. It happens behind the tire and at the points on the left and right side where the upper fairings meet with the lower spoiler. If I press in on the center of the spoiler, the noise stops. I have been planning to drill a small hole in the center of the spoiler behind the front tire and then run a zip tie from that hole to a spot higher up behind it with enough tension to permanently stop the noise. Any other suggestions or comments that can help or be a better approach to solving this noise would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I had a rattle coming from the front of the fairing after I had performed the 24K maintenance. Turned out it was caused by my incorrect re-installation of the front fairing and went away, once I figured out how to properly seat the pieces together. I would avoid trying the zip tie solution until you've checked the fitment of the tupperware. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have the same rattling on my 03. It happens behind the tire and at the points on the left and right side where the upper fairings meet with the lower spoiler. If I press in on the center of the spoiler, the noise stops. I have been planning to drill a small hole in the center of the spoiler behind the front tire and then run a zip tie from that hole to a spot higher up behind it with enough tension to permanently stop the noise. Any other suggestions or comments that can help or be a better approach to solving this noise would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, John
There should be a 1/4 inch 3 inch long piece of foam on the upper fairing right at the front where the upper and lower overlap to stop the vibration, any exterior foam will work

Reactions: RockyRoad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts