BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have at 99 k1200LT. When I ride and get the motor up to 4000rpm there's a vibration in the engine then it smoothes out at about 4400rpm. The motorcycle is due for a tune up but should I be concerned? My bike has 45k on the clock. Otherwise it's running great. It's just the vibration. I'm going to change the oil, oil filter air filter fuel filter spark plugs add a power plug for my gps. And change the final drive oil. Is there anything else that I should take a look at when I strip the ol' lady down to do the maintenance. Maybe a valve check? I don't hear the valves clanking like a loose valve would? Anyway any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
it sounds familiar........just MHO, but I think we all feel that right about the same RPM range........I wouldn't get too concerned............sounds like your maint program should be good.........on the K engine, the valves get tighter, not looser........to adjust them, you actually change out what we call ' the buckets' each of which is stamped with the amount of thickness they have.........might want to check out the Clymer manual on that ........ ;)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
There is a K-Bike Buzz and it occurs around 4,000 - 4,200 rpm (a little lower on the 05 and up). Normal.

Valves do not normally wear loose in this engine.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jzeiler said:
There is a K-Bike Buzz and it occurs around 4,000 - 4,200 rpm (a little lower on the 05 and up). Normal.------------.
Commonly called "K-Whine". Very normal. Most of us decided that is the signal that the engine is waking up, as she really starts to perform above 4,000.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I look at it as the "We're about to enter launch sequence" reminder. This bike comes alive at that point, but hold on!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I get the buzz at about 4,500 rpm. I just ignore as the revs move past... :)

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
14wntr said:
It my most hated speed. 77mph on the gps. 4000-4200.... Damn I hate that speed! Mine runs best over 80 or under 75.

You could watch my vid on valve check in addition to that excellent article. http://www.illinoisbmwriders.com/instructional-videos/15-k-bikes/22-k1200lt-valve-clearence-check

Hey Dick, what is it gonna take to get you to promote my work?
Hey, Kirk - my bad. Didn't realize you had the tutorial running on the valve check and adjustment procedure. I've added all your latest DIY videos to my fav folder now and will sure promotecha when I can, Kirk. Didn't mean to slight ya.

Great job, BTW --- our forum folks are lucky to have you as a member, sharing your expertise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the responses. Glad that I don't need to worry about the K-bike buzz. I'm not afraid to get the engine revving past the 4k. But wanted to find out about the
" buzz" Thanks for the link to valve adjustments will take a look. I've been doing all the maintenance myself so it's no big deal. Exept for changing the tires that I have the dealer take care of. Thanks again for the help Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts