BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would document this since my bike is all back together after the big project.
(Funny, the bike is still really dirty) :histerica

After many miles, the plastic seat in the mirror assembly where the ball is grasped by the clips in the mirror gets worn. This results in the ball fitting loosely under the clips resulting in vibration. Some kind of space filler is needed to make the ball a snug fit again under the wire clips.

What happens is that road grime gets between the ball and the plastic seat causes wear of the plastic. Once the plastic seat is worn enough, the ball no longer fits snugly resulting in mirror vibration:

I cut a small square of electrical tape and stick it on top of the ball:

I then put a small dab of white lithium grease (you could use peanut butter, or olive oil, whatever is handy):

I then snap the mirror onto the balls in the usual fashion. The pieces of tape are captured between the ball and the plastic seat, acting as a space filler. This has eliminated the "buzzy" mirrors that my KLT developed over the years.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Thanks for that information Curtis. I had the Muth signal mirrors on my LT and they did vibrate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the information, CharlieVT.

I think the next time I need to do any major service on the bike, I'll be doing this.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Outstanding!!!!!! I am gonna do it because for years i have suffered with "fuzzy" mirrors......thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts