BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the threads I've read on this wobble issue indicate low spped wobble/shimmy between 20 and 40 mph. My wobble happens just before comming to stop 2-3 mph and right at acceleration. Front tire is Metzler 880 Marathon (?) about one year old (42psi). Rear tire is brand new Metzler. There doesn't appear to be any obvious cupping or feathering, however I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Is there something else I should be looking for?
'99 LT about 30k miles.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Just to be sure, is the rear tire also at 42?

Make sure it is at your normal pressure,because I had a low speed wobble caused by an under inflated tire.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Yes 48 is the prefered normal for the rear. And if you are new to the LT, it may just be the normal top heaviness of the machine and the dynamics of stopping. Rule of thumb use rear brake lightly as you come to a stop and ALWAYS have the front wheel straight ahead as you stop or she will dirt nap on you. She is a pig below 5 mph. But she really squeals above that.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I didn't want to mention 48pounds because tire pressure (do a search) is widely debated. If the back tire is 42, and many do keep it there, and it is wobbling, something else is wrong.

42-48 is not noticeable except for maybe a stiffer ride. I generally followed the tire manufactures and BMW's pressure recommendation and riding Metz, felt pleased with the way they handles in all conditions.

anyway, back to the wobble....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Had that happen to me once and it was a defective rear tire. Dealership thought the front steering damper was weak, but after replacing, still had the wobble. After replacing the rear tire, wobble went away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for input. I have had the bike for about 5 years. Third set of tires, always been Metzlers. Never noticed wobble before. My tire pressure has always been 42 frnt and 48 rear. Like I said, the rear tire is brand new. I can't remember if wobble started after it was installed. Like one poster commented he had defective rear tire.
Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts