BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all! :)

Finally back home after extensive travelling abroad with ambition to reassemble the LT, much wanted!!! Other bikes waiting but this has priority...:)

Got it out for a first spin today after having worked like a maniac last few days and besides some minor hick up's before starting up the drive was a blessing...!!! :) last day to do annual inspection now on Saturday morning June 1st so had to get it together. But, and a great but, the idle remains even when warm at 2500-3000 at its lowest, when pulling the throttle grip towards decrease it slows slightly.

Pulled most of the bike apart in november to do as much as possible once down and get a "zero" point on all service requirements, so changed engine oil and filter, trans oil, rear end oil, spark plugs, air and fuel filters, greased shifter linkage, new light bulbs for park/low/high beam, new instrument cluster bright white LED's (only instrument back light), cleaned everything from dirt and gravel, added stereo compartment USB charger and lights, routed new power feed for GPS and...

As the cruise didn't work fully last autumn I checked all cruise control switches and found them to be working OK, adjusted the cruise control cable end play from more than 4 mm play to just 2 mm's (range in manual 2-3 mm), new throttle cables since before and should have had fairly good slack (1-1,5 mm) and some more... so now when riding cruise works as it shall, all inhibit switches working perfect so very happy with this fix!

The last part with the throttle cables and cruise control unit cable adjustment may be the cause so thinking about beginning there to find the solution. The cables were laid so the green one was to the outer side on top of the air duct, nothing stuck before assembling the side panels but thinking some part can have squeezed the cables when assembled back...

Thoughts around this;
- can a possible too tight (less than 2 mm's) cruise control unit end play result in too high idle?
- cable bind not here before tear down, when idle was perfect?
- some other adjustment? Have done the TPS reset twice hoping this would fix it but not the solution...

As summer starts here in Sweden now I look forward to many enjoyable and memorable miles (kilometers here :) ) on the LT and maybe even sell some of the other ones...

Safe riding everyone!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...and problem solved, if it can help anyone else... :)

Went back to the man cave tonight and took off left side panels again and as I had a small suspicion about, it turned out to be a slightly to "tight" cruise control module cable that had a little bit too tight turn into the throttle body... When loosened up it immediately started to idle as it shall do...

So, now I can finally enjoy the fully serviced ride and feeling relieved that there at least in an ideal world shall not be any immediate service needs but instead just relax and enjoy riding...!!!

Safe riding out there, All...!!!

Reactions: sailor

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Glad you found it.

Been there, done that. Lift the tank of the ’91 RS and it would pull the throttle cable up na did would then get stuck on TOP of the adjustment barrel. That sucker would scream on startup. Took a minute to figure it out as, I too, had completely reassembled the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts