BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 LT and just had both wheel circuit fluid changed, also had a new odessy battery put in, Rode it 75 miles today and when I got home I had a quarter size pool of what looks like water on the floor under the vent tube that comes down next to the swingarm?

Looks like it goes up under the seat to a tee and continues into some sort of black box on the left side of the bike?

I have owned the bike since new and have never seen anything drip from this vent. Any thoughts? I will give the dealer a call on Tuesday.

Thanks
Glen

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
That is just overflow from the wheel circuit reservoirs. There may have been a temperature difference in the shop and outside when they flushed the brakes. That was expansion. I usually set the level with the caliper pistons fully retracted then pump them back out. If they pumped them out and THEN set the level it would explain the overflow. If you feel that "water" it will seem slimy on your fingers. Don't get any on a painted surface.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If its not oil or antifreeze, then it could be battery overflow due to charging. If it is, RINSE WELL WITH WATER AND BAKING SODA.

·
Registered
498 Posts
jzeiler said:
That is just overflow from the wheel circuit reservoirs. There may have been a temperature difference in the shop and outside when they flushed the brakes. That was expansion. I usually set the level with the caliper pistons fully retracted then pump them back out. If they pumped them out and THEN set the level it would explain the overflow. If you feel that "water" it will seem slimy on your fingers. Don't get any on a painted surface.
I believe John may be correct. Battery is Gel ( I think)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, you always have a calm answer when I have a question. I will definatly sleep better tonight. Brownie sundae on me next time we get to the Ironhorse.

Thanks Glen

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
Yeah we missed you Glen this time. We had a few new comers this year and one of them got a little hot in the corners and low sided the LT after the centerstand dug in. He is fine and the bike drove back to VA Beach OK but it did about $4,800 in damage. Hope to see you again in the fall.

·
Registered
607 Posts
jzeiler said:
Yeah we missed you Glen this time. We had a few new comers this year and one of them got a little hot in the corners and low sided the LT after the centerstand dug in. He is fine and the bike drove back to VA Beach OK but it did about $4,800 in damage. Hope to see you again in the fall.

$5,800 with labor is the latest.

Progressive rep came out to the house on Friday. His estimate includes labor. I intend to do all of my own.

There was a Long Island LT that low sided on Thur. Honda Shadow also dropped on Friday, plus the Harley. I was not alone. :dance:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think Ohio was represented to well this spring, Joe had a gig, Howard and Steve were there a week early, and I was stuck at work. I will try and talk to those guys and see if we can make a return visit this fall.

Sorry to here about all the downed riders, those roads are super, but you better be paying attention or they will bite you in the ass!

Glen

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
GlennM86 said:
$5,800 with labor is the latest.

Progressive rep came out to the house on Friday. His estimate includes labor. I intend to do all of my own.

There was a Long Island LT that low sided on Thur. Honda Shadow also dropped on Friday, plus the Harley. I was not alone. :dance:
Well I didn't name names Glenn. But what you did was pretty spectacular and to ride it home without a scratch (on you) was impressive. Looks like you will be back on the LT after all.

That was Carlos on his 1600GT, the chip seal gravel on Wayah Road got him. We ended up cutting the top (badly scratched) of her windshield on the Shadow so she could see to ride home. All lowsides were ridden home safely!!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
glenhinegardner said:
I don't think Ohio was represented to well this spring, Joe had a gig, Howard and Steve were there a week early, and I was stuck at work. I will try and talk to those guys and see if we can make a return visit this fall. ...
Glen
Thinking about it, Glen. At that time of year, it usually comes down to how many vacation days are left. We'll see. Having ridden Wayah Road when we were there last month, I'd like to go back and do that a few more times. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts