BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i open my gas cap on my 96 R1100rt the it get a big woosh sound I've been told that the vapor canister is plugged up.
I need to know how to disconnect the over flow lines. There are 3 hoses that com off the canister 2 seem to be coming from the gas tank area and the 3rd comes from the canister and i belive it is the vent for the canister. do i just disconnect the 2 line and route them down the frame. Please help me.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Under the seat there should be a diagram of the hose routing. One from the gas tank to the canister, one from the canister to the solenoid that opens by command to vent the canister to the intake system of the engine and one from the canister to the ground. If you want to do what you ask, you need to route the one from the tank to the ground, away from hot stuff. It is not long enough so you may have to splice in some more hose (from stuff you now will remove). Now, very important, you need to plug the tube that goes to the solenoid. when I do this I remove the tubes and put little rubber caps on the throttle bodies where this tube from the solenoid connects to them. The caps are available from the dealer or an auto supply. Get good ones not the cheap vinyl or they will fall off. I also wrap the solenoid with electrical tape for protection in case you want to re use it or better yet remove it and wrap the electrical connector plugged into it. Now remove the canister. I generally save all this equipment. Some states (I suspect most) this is illegal but common. If you live in a state that has emissions inspections this could be an issue. Also, your tank whoosh may be just a clogged or crimped tube in this system. But, you are correct in your conclusion that the symptom you are having may lead to issues. This job is best done with some plastic removal of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts