BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got her started up last night after completing "winter" maintenance.

I was expecting valves to be quieter after a valve adjustment but they are slightly louder. Not what I was expecting. I thought the valves would be quiter.

I am confident that clearance is correct (triple checked: clearance before, old & new bucket size, and valve clearance after. All my exhaust valves needed +1 or +2 bucket size smaller and 4 intakes were also changed by 1 bucket size smaller. Bike has 65k miles.

Any experience with noise? With added clearance will valves make noise?

Thank you!

Mike

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
On these bikes the valves get tighter as they wear, so yes they are a little louder after proper adjustment.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
bigger gap means louder ticking - mine were all much tighter than minimum so adjusted to max gap and the motor has a nice ticking sound standing beside it - silent valves = burnt valves with the exception of hydraulic lifters of course

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Is it a tap or a tic? The injectors make a tic that many mistake for valve noise.

If the sound is high on the left it is most likely injector tick. If the sound is low then it could be the valves.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I can hear the valves now standing beside the bike covers on - I'm an old man and my hearing is not good enough to hear the injectors without sticking my real close to them :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
solid cam follower (eg K buckets) - ticking valves happy valves
hydraulic lifters/cam followers - silent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts