BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has ben covered...couldn't find it in FAQ or the HOW. Does anyone here manage a "tappet sharing" network for the LT? I did my valves last night and have a few tappets that need to be swapped. Seems a shame to toss them and buy new when someone here may need the sizes I have and the ones I need.

Thanks,
Bob Lilley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
I can't answer your question .... but make sure you measure the ones you need changed. Sometimes some of them can be swapped around and minimize the total number you need.

Also check with your dealer and see if they will do a swap with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you. Dealer will only sell new which surprised me as I'm a long time customer. Says they never reuse. My exhaust side is in spec and the I have three tight ones on the intake side so I've got nothing to re-use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Bobby, if you fill out your profile, or at least tell us where you are, there may be a member nearby who has some available. Just a suggestion.

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
BobbyLT said:
Forgive me if this has ben covered...couldn't find it in FAQ or the HOW. Does anyone here manage a "tappet sharing" network for the LT? I did my valves last night and have a few tappets that need to be swapped. Seems a shame to toss them and buy new when someone here may need the sizes I have and the ones I need.

Thanks,
Bob Lilley
Hi Bob,

Good to see you posting here. I've seen you on the LD site too, and congrats to your LD riding accomplishments.

You propose a good idea here on the LT site. In the past we have shared in local areas on the regional forums. Over the years I've gained a box full of "buckets" myself; unfortunately many might be the 2.90mm ones that are the first to hit the box.

Perhaps we can start an inventory by Member Name, Region, Size and Quantity?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ernie,

Yes, the 2.90s buckets are in plentiful supply. My LT has 200K on it now and the motor has been rock solid. This is only the third time it's needed to be re-shimmed. Good idea about a bucket repository list but who has the time to craft and mainatin it? I'll take a ride to my dealer later and buy some new ones.

Thanks,
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
That's awesome....200k on a LT! I've seen several people post the sizes they needed and get quick responses from others on the forum. You might try that when your near 300k and need some different sizes again. I've not seen a more generous group with their time, parts and opinions....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,086 Posts
BobbyLT said:
Ernie,

Yes, the 2.90s buckets are in plentiful supply. My LT has 200K on it now and the motor has been rock solid. This is only the third time it's needed to be re-shimmed. Good idea about a bucket repository list but who has the time to craft and mainatin it? I'll take a ride to my dealer later and buy some new ones.

Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob,
I maintain the bucket supply for the South Central tech session group and have been known to swap with members elsewhere. Without knowing what sizes you need/have, I can't do much. I have also had good luck with grinding down the thicker unwanted buckets to thinner sizes. Somebody wanted a 2.45 a few months ago (smallest sold is 2.50) and I sent him a 2.43 and a 2.47 out of the supply.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
BobbyLT said:
Ernie,

Yes, the 2.90s buckets are in plentiful supply. My LT has 200K on it now and the motor has been rock solid. This is only the third time it's needed to be re-shimmed. Good idea about a bucket repository list but who has the time to craft and mainatin it? I'll take a ride to my dealer later and buy some new ones.

Thanks,
Bob
And that's 200k on an 05, right? I just turned over 200k 3 weeks ago on my '02. Let me know if there is a specific size that is unavailable elsewhere. I may have what you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DanMartin said:
Hi Bob,
I maintain the bucket supply for the South Central tech session group and have been known to swap with members elsewhere. Without knowing what sizes you need/have, I can't do much. I have also had good luck with grinding down the thicker unwanted buckets to thinner sizes. Somebody wanted a 2.45 a few months ago (smallest sold is 2.50) and I sent him a 2.43 and a 2.47 out of the supply.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx

Dan, good to know for next time...thx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ErnieA said:
And that's 200k on an 05, right? I just turned over 200k 3 weeks ago on my '02. Let me know if there is a specific size that is unavailable elsewhere. I may have what you need.
Ernie,

My LT is an '03.

Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
ladies and gentlemen
I have 3 ea 2.75
2 ea 2.80
yours for the asking..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
BobbyLT said:
Yes, thank you. Dealer will only sell new which surprised me as I'm a long time customer. Says they never reuse. My exhaust side is in spec and the I have three tight ones on the intake side so I've got nothing to re-use.

Not necessarily true .... you don't know until you get them off. For example, you may get the three tight ones and find them to be 2.70, 2.75 and 2.80 shims. You could move the 2.70 where the 2.75 was, the 2.75 where the 2.80 was and only need to replace the one where the 2.70 was.

They aren't necessarily all the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I have a couple left over, What size do you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
Let me know what size you need? I also have 217k on mine. and have a few left I could send you.

Zeke
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
I did not dare bother to ask before, but now that subject has been raised, I would need the following sizes for the next 2 jobs (mine and also for a friend K1200):

2 shims/bucket size 2.70
2 shims/bucket size 2.75
2 shims/bucket size 2.80
2 shims/bucket size 2.85

Willing to pay up to $US$ 10 each plus shipping.
I live in Montreal (Canada), but can also give a PO-BOX address of my sister in NY (zip is 12944). Shipping in NY will be simpler and cheaper for most of the readers here.

A BIG thank you for anything you might be willing to offer !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
I have 2 at 2.75
and 2 at 2.80

Pm me the address where you want them shipped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all who offered tappets...especially Starfighter - very gracious. I went to the dealer and bought some 2.80s and 2.75s. If anybody wants my used 2.90s, send me an email and I'll get them to you.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top