BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is what I did. I purchased these steel T stems and the Fobo Bike 2 TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). The app installs on my phone which I mount on a Quad-Lock holder where the GPS used to be. You can see your tire pressures and temperatures in real-time. Did you realize that your tires can gain +/-10lbs of pressure when it's hot out? You can set warnings with alarms for min/max pressure alerts. The T stems allow you to add air/nitrogen without removing the TPMS. It is a very slick, convenient setup. I also run ceramic balance beads which work perfectly.

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Wheel Hood

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,592 Posts
Did you realize that your tires can gain +/-10lbs of pressure when it's hot out?

View attachment 179929
Actually from the start of any ride my tires on the LT gain as much as 8 lbs as they get hot riding with the same outside temperature. My rear gets to 165 and the fronts to 135 F. but my Smartire system compensates for that and gives me a delta P from cold.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
Here is what I did. I purchased these steel T stems and the Fobo Bike 2 TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). The app installs on my phone which I mount on a Quad-Lock holder where the GPS used to be. You can see your tire pressures and temperatures in real-time. Did you realize that your tires can gain +/-10lbs of pressure when it's hot out? You can set warnings with alarms for min/max pressure alerts. The T stems allow you to add air/nitrogen without removing the TPMS. It is a very slick, convenient setup. I also run ceramic balance beads which work perfectly.
Yes, tire pressure changes substantially with temperature, but do not adjust the pressure of a hot tire back to what it should be at ambient temp.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
My problem is to check the tire pressure. I have a very good gauge but the tip is at 45 degrees and there is not enough room. I solved the problem by buying a set of 90 degrees tire valve extender. I put 2 together for the front wheel. They are only (cad)$11.00 for a set of 4.
This is just to check the pressure and they don't stay on the rim when I ride.
Check them on Amazon
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use the T-valves from FOBO (but use an Amazon TPMS product that doesn't require a phone to display tire pressure). No modification is necessary and pressure is easy to check without removing the TPMS sensor.

FOBO Accessories

Automotive lighting Cylinder Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

·
IBR# 366
16,680 Posts
I use the T-valves from FOBO
Is that the 21P-TM-VAL0012/R1 part?

Did these require removing the rim ridge with a dremel?

I also have an external TPMS that I'd like to add to the LT, and a T-valve should work well for that.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Purple Wood

After 1k miles the metal valve stems, Slime TR416 suggested by John Z. work great!
I did have to give the wheel a slight shave along the upraised lip which travels across the stem centers.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
I just put rubber washers on both sides, no cutting required.
That is what I like about the Kurvey Girl short stems (that apparently are no longer available), they came with washers and not trimming of the wheel was required.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts