BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this on the RT Thread (in addition to the "Tires" area) since it may be overlooked on the "Tires" area since it doesn't seem to be visited very often.

I will be installing my first set of tires on my 2005 RT that I’ve owned for less than a year. The rear tire had a belt separation last weekend while my wife and I were going down the road at about 75. All of a sudden it felt like we where running on the warning track at the edge of road. Bike was amazingly well behaved with the flat. We came to a stop and found the rear tire flat with a blow-thru where the steel belt failed. I have ordered a set of PR4’s and will mount and balance as soon as they arrive (I have the equipment to do so).

My question is this --- Is the valve stem used on RT’s the standard automotive size? In other words, is the hole in the rim the same size as is commonly used in automotive tires or is it some strange BMW size that requires you to go to the dealer and sell your first born so you can afford to buy what should be a $1 part? :bmw:

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you can mange the extra cost, I'd consider using an angled stem in the rear. I never saw the need until I needed air and found there was no way the gas station tire chuck could reach the valve. Next time I replaced the tire I bought a pair of these and sold one. This is MUCH easier to reach. Don't know how the stems are measured, but the hole in the rear rim is 11.8mm.

·
Cat Herder
1,476 Posts
Listen it what Marc says... he is the king of all things tires. I dumped the rubber value stems and went with the aluminum units in the previous post. Much easier to use and you never need to be replaced.

·
Registered
461 Posts
kurveygirl.com has chrome plated steel that are angled an fit wit no mods on LT and RT . Have one to install on rear of 07S at next tire change.

Bob G
11RT
07S

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got around to putting my new tires on the RT (work has gotten in the way). I built a wooden jig to hold the rim and allow me to remove and install the tires with the NO-MAR bar I bought online. Using my jig and some RU-Glyde allowed the tires to slide off and on with very little problems. The valve stem is a stock size used on most all automobile rims for the last 40 years. I bought a package of 2 at an auto parts store for about 2 dollars. I didn’t use a metal stem since it weighed about 4 times what the rubber one weighed. This would have required considerable more rim weights to balance the tire, which I didn’t want.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I finally got around to putting my new tires on the RT (work has gotten in the way). I built a wooden jig to hold the rim and allow me to remove and install the tires with the NO-MAR bar I bought online. Using my jig and some RU-Glyde allowed the tires to slide off and on with very little problems. The valve stem is a stock size used on most all automobile rims for the last 40 years. I bought a package of 2 at an auto parts store for about 2 dollars. I didn’t use a metal stem since it weighed about 4 times what the rubber one weighed. This would have required considerable more rim weights to balance the tire, which I didn’t want.
I have TPMS so I can't change valve stems. So you guys that still have straight short stems get a right angle adapter from you local BMW shop so you can adjust your air at any gas station. Yes it's overpriced.

·
Registered
464 Posts
U can still order the lead weights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I misspoke, I bought a No-Scuff tool (No-scufftiretool.com), not a NO-Mar tool. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The valve stem is a stock size used on most all automobile rims for the last 40 years.
Since the advent of tubeless tires, in fact.

Did you know that the size of the hole in the rim is different for rims that require tube-type tires? An industry standard designed to keep you from attempting a tubeless installation on a rim not designed with a bead retention feature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
resurrecting a new thread since i'm too new to send a PM...

Thezz, do you happen to have any pics or plans of your wooden tire-changing jig? that sounds very interesting!
thx a bunch
ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts