BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got around to doing the seals today. I used a borrowed BMW valve spring compressor from an old member here, David Shealy. Wow that thing worked great. Normally one does this on engine by running a piston to just beyond TDC, locking the rear wheel while in 5th and pressurizing the cylinder to hold the valves in place. I just wanted to set the pistons at 90 off of TDC so I rigged up a "T" and ran a hose to adjacent cylinders so there would be no engine movement from start to finish making cam install a snap. It worked out really well and the replacement took about 2.5 hours not counting cam removal and other prep.

I took lots of pictures and will post them after I get her all back together. The issue was a change in oil consumption after I reached 100K. It also varied as to how much based on driving mode. Lots of high rpm throttle work in the mountains causwed more oil to be consumed (half a sight glass in one day in the smokies). Open highway the consumption was negligible. As I suspected the valve seals were leaking a bit as I found crud on the valve guides under the seals on several valves (not all) so here is hoping I have it licked. Now to go put the cams back in and get some new plugs.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any sign of valve guide wear at 100k?
Not that I could tell, I never tried a dial indicator since the valves remained fully seated while the springs were off. I can check my test head as it has over 100K on it.

I did try to measure on the test head. I put the dial indicator on the edge of an extended valve and got no more than .003 movement on it. Manual just states internal diameter of 0.1969 to 0.1973 " with wear limit of 0.2" Not even sure how to check that.

The springs were all checked for free length and all were well into spec averaging 42.4 mm with new @ 42.6 mm and wear limit @ 41.1 mm.

I did fire her up yesterday to move her off the lift and into the other garage. The exhaust smell was not oily like it was before so I am going to declare victory pending a longer ride than 2 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts