BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

valve stem failure

5K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  lkchris 
#1 ·
I just had one of those infamous valve stem failures on my back tire today thinking about taking the tire to the local harley dealer for a metal valve stem does anybody now whether they can do that for me or am I going to have to take it to my Bmw dealer an hour away any advice would be appreciated :confused:

#3 ·
I get the local Honda dealer to do all my tire work. I'm sure HD can handle it for the right price. I had one of those failures as well. It cost me $105 to have it towed and the valve stem replaced.......... :D

#4 ·
rattler50 said:
I get the local Honda dealer to do all my tire work. I'm sure HD can handle it for the right price. I had one of those failures as well. It cost me $105 to have it towed and the valve stem replaced.......... :D
i lucked out it started going flat on me about a mile out from the house, so I was able to limp home. I am hoping the HD dealer can do it reasonably since they are the closes to me.

#6 ·
#10 ·
yea going to go ahead and do it myself called hales harley davidson a dealer pretty close to me to see if they would do it if i dropped off the tire, the service manager told me they don't work on bmw and don't know anything about our tires or rims :histerica I asked him are you kidding me its just a tire and valve stem I can even give you the size you'll need. sorry can't help ya. Wow now I know why I don't ride a harley.

Ok sorry for the rant does anybody know if you can get to the valve stem easy enough by just using a C - clamp to break the bead without taking the tire off the rim.
thanks for the help guys

#12 ·
flyerp52 said:
yea going to go ahead and do it myself called hales harley davidson a dealer pretty close to me to see if they would do it if i dropped off the tire, the service manager told me they don't work on bmw and don't know anything about our tires or rims :histerica I asked him are you kidding me its just a tire and valve stem I can even give you the size you'll need. sorry can't help ya. Wow now I know why I don't ride a harley.

Ok sorry for the rant does anybody know if you can get to the valve stem easy enough by just using a C - clamp to break the bead without taking the tire off the rim.
thanks for the help guys
C-clamp and a short piece of 1X4 should do it. I would try it without removing the wheel, just put it in gear when you reach the right position.

Robert (who hasn't tried this yet)

#17 ·
mtrevelino said:
Just some FYI. I had to file the center lip on my rim to get the metal valve stem to seat properly. I do not know if you will have to do the same thing.
Interesting... didn't have to do that with the ones I installed, they sealed just fine as was. I bought 4 or 5 pairs and on-shipped them around to a few of the other guys over here.

#18 ·
FYI, my son is a BMW auto tech and he does all my tires for me. He installed the metal BMW car stems for me a few years ago with no alterations needed to the rim. He did tell me to make sure not to use metal valve caps as they will seize onto the stems.

#19 ·
flyerp52 said:

thanks for the help guys
A 2X4 and 2 VERY stout C-clamps (and padding) work just great. Don't overtighten the new stems - and the ones from Curvy Girl fit great without any mods.

#20 ·
RiderRay said:
FYI, my son is a BMW auto tech and he does all my tires for me. He installed the metal BMW car stems for me a few years ago with no alterations needed to the rim. He did tell me to make sure not to use metal valve caps as they will seize onto the stems.
In Arizona we would never dream of using plastic valve caps.... only metal with o-rings.

Then again - road salt is not an issue. :D

#21 ·
#23 ·
#25 ·
DanMartin said:
No good thoughts!
$8/ea?
Don't want nuts inside tire.

go to patchboy.com and search item 17-559

$1.30 ea
Now you tell me! I bought KurveyGirls for $10. You warned me to get the metal ones when I came to pick up the brake funnel, but I haven't yet. This stem failure post reminded me.

#26 ·
cwarren said:
Now you tell me! I bought KurveyGirls for $10. You warned me to get the metal ones when I came to pick up the brake funnel, but I haven't yet. This stem failure post reminded me.

The only problem with the Patchboy stem is that you have to make a larger pocket on your rim or make an appropriate sized spacer out of stainless or brass.

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.