BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manual cd won't boot): Could someone look up the torque setting for the valve cover bolts?
thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Kenny said:
My manual cd won't boot): Could someone look up the torque setting for the valve cover bolts?
thanks
Ken
Ken, valve cover bolts are torqued to 9nm, and the heat shield is 5nm. (Boy, those sure seem low, don't they?). I'll double check that, butt it's what I got written down.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Torque Settings

Dick you are correct on the settings: see attached torque setting sched that I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Chipper said:
Dick you are correct on the settings: see attached torque setting sched that I have.
Thanks, Bill. I just remembered that Randy had posted this back a hunnert years ago and it's residing in the HOW pages, under Maintenance and the 'valve cover install' thread. I think I'll use yours or Randy's from now on, instead of relying on memory. Thanks again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
And these bolts will strip the casing threads if over tightened DAMHIK. -Chuck-

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
charlieg said:
And these bolts will strip the casing threads if over tightened DAMHIK. -Chuck-
Yup, you're right (I didn't ask ya, tho!!), and I read somewhere in the HOW pages that the bolt holes have a specific 'bottom stop' built in. Thus the fairly low defined torque setting. Elton is running a thread at the moment (help in Vernal, UT) and I think that item wuz discussed also. Having a traveling torque wrench would've been nice in his situation, butt few folks, if any, are gonna 'carry'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts