Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate any input on this.

Putting her back together after adjusting valve clearance
I replaced the buckets
Got the cam shafts back in
Wire ties still good & tight on both sprockets

Installed intake sprocket to intake cam

But can not install the exhaust sprocket
Can not get chain/ sprocket to reach exhaust cam. Short by about 4 mm.....
Scratching my head
Did I not get the chain tensioner back before I relaesed it? 1/8 drill rod is still in place

Anyone else ever see this?

Mike :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
It helps to have a third hand. Put a wrench on the intake cam,pull down to get the slack out of the chain. I then install the exhaust gear and snug the bolt down,turning the cam to line up the pin and it pops into place.

dan

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
A little trick I use to confirm I have the plunger captured with the 1/8 inch rod is to rotate the rod. If it rotates in only one direction you have it, if it easily rotates in both directions you have missed the plunger.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
jzeiler said:
A little trick I use to confirm I have the plunger captured with the 1/8 inch rod is to rotate the rod. If it rotates in only one direction you have it, if it easily rotates in both directions you have missed the plunger.
John, what do you recommend if the plunger wasn't captured? I fear mine was not as I was surprised how much the lower sprocket was pulled inward when it slipped off of the camshaft.

I have an oval shaped brass drift that I may be able to fit in there and push on the tensioner, but I don't want to damage the chain or tensioner. Any other tricks to get the tensioner back down?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
Since the oil has bled down you should still be able to push down on the lower chain guide to positively set the 1/8 " rod. Try a screw driver and a small block of wood on top of the chain. Should go down very easy.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
jzeiler said:
Since the oil has bled down you should still be able to push down on the lower chain guide to positively set the 1/8 " rod. Try a screw driver and a small block of wood on top of the chain. Should go down very easy.
Well, I tried it again and this time it went right down, the 1/8" drill bit went in and the guide stayed put. I thought I had tried the same thing earlier and it wouldn't budge. So what is the emoticon for scratching one's head? I guess sometimes one just has to let their "problems" age a while. :)

Well, I mic'd all of my buckets and they are spot on so I believe my calculations for the new buckets are correct. Just need to order the replacements in the morning and hope they don't have to come from the Fatherland.

I have a few more tasks to do while I'm waiting such as bleed the clutch and change the coolant, but other than that I think I will be ready to button the girl back up once the buckets arrive.

While on this topic, any tips for holding the exhaust buckets in place while putting the cam back in? It all of the hands my wife and I both have to hold them in place when I removed the cam! It is nice having a wife who doesn't mind occasionally getting her hands dirty wiht a car or bike maintenance or repair task.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I use white lithium grease to hold the buckets in. Clean the oil off of the valve tip & the bucket & apply the grease to the valve tip or the bucket.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
saddleman said:
I use white lithium grease to hold the buckets in. Clean the oil off of the valve tip & the bucket & apply the grease to the valve tip or the bucket.
Perfect solution. Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
When filling the coolant, I find it helpful to loosen the top crossover hose at the right radiator to "burp" out the trapped air. I slip a small screwdriver in there to open the hose a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts