BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Jon,
I have seen those used when doing a valve check. Being bent, they seem to make it a little easier to get a measurement.

I have seen a set that was 8" long, maybe more. No problems with them being too short.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
It's pretty easy to make a set like that. Over the years I've accumulated several sets of feeler gauages, I took one set and bent the last inch or so to angle 'em.

Yup, it makes checking the LT a little easier.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Yep! I have a bent set that I inherited from my Dad and they are perfect for the LT valve checks. I have found that it is also easier to get the proper feel for each valve by removing the individual leafs from the holder. Just keep them in order for the actual checks!

John

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
They work great, here is how you use them!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just out of interest I would like to ask whether anyone out there has had to make any major valve adjustments after say 20,000 miles on the odometer?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
Just out of interest I would like to ask whether anyone out there has had to make any major valve adjustments after say 20,000 miles on the odometer?
Dealer 1 inspected at 6K 1 needed adjustment.
Dealer 2 inspected at 60K said ok.
At CCR found 3 out of speck at 68K, adjustments made.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
Mine stayed pretty steady until the 48K then I changed four of the buckets. I don't expect to have any more need it for at least another 48K, if then.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Did mine at 12, and 24K no adjustments.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
I swapped 8 buckets & changed 8 buckets at 120,000 miles. All of mine were to tight & had been that way for a long time. I'll check them again at 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can alternate the highs and the lows to keep a medium average over all curve whithout having to buy new ones untill no further combinations are possible....

Regards, Z.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts