BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am supposed to be able to turn the engine slightly using the rear wheel in sixth gear.

My issue is that I can only select 1st or 'neutral' when the bike is up on the center stand.

How do I get the bike into the gear I need to be able to turn over the engine manually for this valve check? (My Clymers is on the way, I am just trying to get some things done this weekend.....)

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I never tried to get mine to 5th(top on mine) with it not running.
But I have done it with it running on the center stand..prolly a no no but that was when I was looking for the bad spot in the sensor wire for the speedo.
Seems to me if you could find someone to spin the tire for you while you are shifting that should work. Cheers!

Or just shut it off in 6th and coast to a stop maybe in your driveway by holding the clutch in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I need to wake up my 'assistant'.

Thanks for the tip, sometimes it is the most obvious things that escape you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you are right, there is only 5.

Not to say that they shouldn't have put in another. I cant tell you how many times I have attempted to upshift from 5th gear!!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
+1! It really is pretty easy, you don't need an assistant. I do it every time by just moving the rear wheel back & forth while holding the shift lever in the up-shift direction.

John
C-A-D said:
6th? My LT lacks something... But seriously: You will get it on the 5th gear by rolling the rear wheel and operating the shift lever with your hand.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I guess I should check mine when I have the big girl stripped down for her clutch job, springs, QDs, and other various fixer ups. I am not sure which I find more daunting... valve adjustment or clutch swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts