BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Brian,

I for one found this post quite helpful. Nice to see someone took the plunge and documented things nicely. About the only other thing I would have liked to see was a few sentences describing what each picture was showing us. I know what the right or left side of the bike looks without Tupperware - no need for that rudimentary an explanation. Rather on the more detailed shots of the engine I would have enjoyed some verbiage as to what specifically I should be focusing on.

All in all, a bang up job! Nice homemade coolant system, too.

David

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics. It should help when I get to my valves

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dpancerz said:
Brian,

I for one found this post quite helpful. Nice to see someone took the plunge and documented things nicely. About the only other thing I would have liked to see was a few sentences describing what each picture was showing us. I know what the right or left side of the bike looks without Tupperware - no need for that rudimentary an explanation. Rather on the more detailed shots of the engine I would have enjoyed some verbiage as to what specifically I should be focusing on.

All in all, a bang up job! Nice homemade coolant system, too.

David
David,
I just took the pics for my own reference at first. Just to make sure I put hoses, etc back the same way. That is why I didn't take pictures of actually checking the gaps. The pictures with the camshaft gears are to show the timing marks that line up with the casing. I couldn't get a good picture of the two gears where they mesh, but there are another two marks that line up with each other. I didn't have a big enough Torx to remove the crankshaft plug to turn the crankshaft, so I just put it in 6th gear and bumped the rear wheel around. The black plastic ribbed (for your pleasure) pipe is the secondary air injection flexible pipe that connects to the solid plastic pipe you can see in the other pictures. You disconnect it by squeezing the ring and pulling. If there is anything specific you want to know, just ask.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
sanjaun2 said:
Thanks for the info and pics. It should help when I get to my valves
When you're ready to do your valves, Brian, just pop down my way. I've done it once with Grif already, and now I'm due again. By the time you get enough miles piled on to need a valve check, it'll be old hat for me. :)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
ken, I would take you up on that if you would stay in one place long enough....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts