BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need 7 2.70mm valve buckets. If anyone has any for sale or trade. I will have these sizes for trade. 5 at 2.90mm & 2 at 2.85mm. I plan on installing them on sat. 10-16-10. I'll call the dealer today to see if they have them in stock & if not when do I need to order them. Thanks all.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
Let me check when I get home Dave. I may have some but not 7.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured the thinner you need the less there will be out there. I'll have to order what I need at the dealer tomorrow in order to have them next week. After I get the new buckets I'll check the surface finish with a profilometer so I can match the surface when I grind the old buckets down. I'll also check the hardness of the surface before & after. I suspect they are hardened all the way thru. This way I can make the old thick buckets useful again.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
donsobeck said:
Forgive me for saying but a range of 270 to 290 is about .008" , that seems like a lot.

DON
Several of my intakes are at .002 & one is at .0015. My exh. 2.75 buckets will be headed over to to the int. side to replace the 2.90s. The 2.70s will going the exh. side to give me .011 to .012 clearance.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have (4) around here somewhere. Looked for them Sunday and again today.

Hear thats a sign of getting old, can't remember where you put stuff.

Noew if I can find my glasses....................

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
Dave,

I have 2 - 2.70's available. PM your addy and I'll drop them in the mail.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
saddleman said:
I figured the thinner you need the less there will be out there. I'll have to order what I need at the dealer tomorrow in order to have them next week. After I get the new buckets I'll check the surface finish with a profilometer so I can match the surface when I grind the old buckets down. I'll also check the hardness of the surface before & after. I suspect they are hardened all the way thru. This way I can make the old thick buckets useful again.
Attached are pics of buckets before and after I ground them down to a thinner size and
a modified digital caliper to measure the buckets.

dan

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DanMartin said:
Attached are pics of buckets before and after I ground them down to a thinner size and
a modified digital caliper to measure the buckets.

dan
I was thinking of grinding the other surface (cam lobe side) on a surface grinder. I will give it some thought of grinding on the valve side as well. It looks like to me the surface that contacts the cam lobe was done on a blanchard grinder.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have all the buckets I need now. Thanks to all who looked. Next sat. the 16th my lash will be back to where it should be. Hopefully it wont need another adjustment for the next 100,000 miles or so. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts