BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time for valve adjustment. I have two tight valves on the #1 intake. Can someone go over the process of taking the tension off the chain to remove the camshaft? The links in the hall of wisdom seem to be down. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Check out the threads showing at the bottom of this page and you should find all the info you need. One of the threads has the link to the "gunsmoke" site which details the job with pictures for doing a K1200RS, which has the same valve train in the same engine, just a few more ponys.

John
deanwoolsey said:
This is my first time for valve adjustment. I have two tight valves on the #1 intake. Can someone go over the process of taking the tension off the chain to remove the camshaft? The links in the hall of wisdom seem to be down. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I remembered something about a drill bit but wasn't exactly sure what it was.

Now for the camshaft removal and the 160 mile round trip to the dealer...............

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
Thanks. I remembered something about a drill bit but wasn't exactly sure what it was.

Now for the camshaft removal and the 160 mile round trip to the dealer...............
Dean;

Why the trip to the dealer, especially at that distance. If you need buckets you can order them from different dealers and wait for them in the mailbox.(maxbmw) Usually only a couple of days. My dealer never has what I need anyways and would have to order them too.

Zeke

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point. I'm only one day away from the dealer via UPS so I'll give them a call tomorrow as I couldn't go until Wednesday myself. Thanks everyone. I'm halfway done.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the mistress all buttoned up last night. While there's a trick or two involved I found the valve adjustment a very easy though tedious task. I am happy to have a lift though as I'm getting too old for rolling around on the floor. After buying two extra buckets for "just in case", two oil filters, and a set of o-rings all shipped to the house I'm still a couple hundred dollars ahead of the dealer price and I'm sure it's been done correctly.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I changed out 4 cam followers a few months ago, thanks to the info here. My LT was in pieces for 13 days, waiting for a dealer order to arrive. And yes, I was growing impatient.

So, next time if I can't find them locally, I'll put out a thread and hopefully work out swap with other members.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts