BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking the valve clearances on my 05 LT and found a couple intakes that were out of specs. After replacing the buckets on those valves and re-installing the cam, tightening and torqueing the nuts, when I re-checked, some of the other valves that had previously checked OK now check too tight. What's going on here?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
Did you have all the buckets off at one time? Did you document the value of each one? This will help sort out the issue. I ran into that once and I had to run the engine through several revolutions then re-check the clearance. There is always the potential of a bit of dirt or carbon under the valve head to open up the clearance initially only to clear then tighten the clearance. I would make sure everything is clean, rotate her through two or three complete cycles and check again.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
Did you have all the buckets off at one time? Did you document the value of each one? This will help sort out the issue. I ran into that once and I had to run the engine through several revolutions then re-check the clearance. There is always the potential of a bit of dirt or carbon under the valve head to open up the clearance initially only to clear then tighten the clearance. I would make sure everything is clean, rotate her through two or three complete cycles and check again.
I pulled them all out as this was the first time I've done it on this bike and wanted to record which actual buckets I had. I did rotate the engine manually after I had everything back together, but it did not change the ones that are now off. I don't want to put it back together, then run it, only to have to open it up again to check if I don't have to.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
I am sure you got the right ones back in the right place. Stuff like that happens. I had two mysteriously "tighten up" on me during my check at 47K both intakes on #4. Ended up replacing those at 49k. ( I don't remember why there was a 2k gap but that is what is logged in the maintenance spread sheet).

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
I am sure you got the right ones back in the right place. Stuff like that happens. I had two mysteriously "tighten up" on me during my check at 47K both intakes on #4. Ended up replacing those at 49k. ( I don't remember why there was a 2k gap but that is what is logged in the maintenance spread sheet).
I'm sure, as I didn't pull them all out at one time. Just did them one at a time, checked the number, wrote it down, and then put it back in the same place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts