BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part the instructions in gunsmoke were a major help. All exhaust valves were okay and 6 intakes were too tight with only 14K on a 2005. My only problem is I am not certain the allen wrench I used made it thru the cam chain tensioner. It went in close to 2 inches with some finagling so I thought I was thru. When I removed the cam sprockets there seems some tension on the chain. Is this normal? I can feel a little resistence on the allen but seems like not much and that is why I think I may have missed the hole in the tensioner. Hope this is enough info.------Thanks, Rethy

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Rethy said:
For the most part the instructions in gunsmoke were a major help. All exhaust valves were okay and 6 intakes were too tight with only 14K on a 2005. My only problem is I am not certain the allen wrench I used made it thru the cam chain tensioner. It went in close to 2 inches with some finagling so I thought I was thru. When I removed the cam sprockets there seems some tension on the chain. Is this normal? I can feel a little resistence on the allen but seems like not much and that is why I think I may have missed the hole in the tensioner. Hope this is enough info.------Thanks, Rethy
You have to push the lower tensioner rail down with a screwdriver to get the tool in. You have to put down pressure on the tensioner rail and hold it for a little while so that it slowly moves down. It will not move fast, so that is where most people goof, thinking that they just push down and insert the tool. You have to force the oil out of the cylinder through a very small hole until the tool slips into a groove (easily) in the end of the piston to keep the spring from pushing it back out.

There is one serious error in the gunsmoke instructions. NEVER remove the spark plugs before doing the valve checks! This is stated in the BMW service literature. The reason is that when you remove the plugs small flakes of carbon may be dopped down into any open exhaust valves, then when you rotate the engine to check them the valve may be held slightly open by the debris, and you get a false clearance reading.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I need 6 shim buckets is there any chance of reusing the valve cover gasket? I have reused them on my 1150R motor with no problems. If I sound cheap it is because I am. The BMW dealer in Iowa is 2 hours away and is absolutely the worst M/C dealer I have ever encountered (Ginas). The prices I get appear to be retail +20%. So with some 3bond is it possible to reuse?----Thanks, Rethy

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Rethy said:
Since I need 6 shim buckets is there any chance of reusing the valve cover gasket? I have reused them on my 1150R motor with no problems. If I sound cheap it is because I am. The BMW dealer in Iowa is 2 hours away and is absolutely the worst M/C dealer I have ever encountered (Ginas). The prices I get appear to be retail +20%. So with some 3bond is it possible to reuse?----Thanks, Rethy
When I did my valves, I asked my dealer for a new gasket. He asked "Why?'

Well, I did buy a new gasket, but I reused the old one. 30,000 miles later, its still in there!

You don't need to buy one.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Rethy said:
You can - just be sure and CAREFULLY clean out the old sealant goo at the specific points on the gasket, ensuring that you don't nick the ridgelines molded into the gasket. Re-goo (I used high temp RTV) at just those points listed in the shop manual.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Rethy said:
Yes, re-use it. It is good for several times. If it is still pliable and not getting hard, and not torn or damaged in any way, it is fine.

Do NOT use sealant on it other than the corners of the half moon cutouts in the rear of the head, and just a dab on the two spots in front where the timing cover and head meet. I used Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker on all places on the bike that need any type of sealant.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
And make sure that when you put your valve cover back on and you torque all the bolts to spec's that you don't forget the one that is in the sparkplug galley, easy to miss that one, don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
dmatson said:
And make sure that when you put your valve cover back on and you torque all the bolts to spec's that you don't forget the one that is in the sparkplug galley, easy to miss that one, don't ask me how I know.
You too? :D

I know at least Grif and I have fallen prey to that hidden sniper. :D :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Valves

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Gina's. Just to keep things in balance, several of my friends have a high regard fro that shop. Usual disclaimers apply.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts