BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have measured the gap and pulled the cams and pulled the buckets and done my calculations for what I need to replace.

The question is for many of the values. I fall between two bucket sizes. If I use a 2.65 then I am 0.024mm too much gap. Would it hurt any thing to use that size bucket knowing that over time it will tighten back up?

Long/Short version - 2.65 bucket too much gap. 2.70 bucket falls between specs.

If that is not clear let me know.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
sk8sslow said:
I have measured the gap and pulled the cams and pulled the buckets and done my calculations for what I need to replace.

The question is for many of the values. I fall between two bucket sizes. If I use a 2.65 then I am 0.024mm too much gap. Would it hurt any thing to use that size bucket knowing that over time it will tighten back up?

Long/Short version - 2.65 bucket too much gap. 2.70 bucket falls between specs.

If that is not clear let me know.
I would put in the 2.65. Slightly too loose is WAY better than slightly too tight. That is what I always did on my LT, if next size smaller shim left the valve in the middle, I dropped one more size.

The only thing bad about slightly loose (we are only talking about 0.001") is that that valve will be very slightly noiser, but it is not loose enough to cause undue wear. As you say, it will probably be just right next valve check. It will be very slightly short on valve opening time, but so little you won't notice it. Racers will strive for exact valve opening times, but it won't be something that will make a difference in stop light to stop light times on the LT. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts