BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found this Ztechnik mount in another thread as an option for mounting a Valentine 1 on a 2013 BMW RT. I'm not clear how or where this mounts but can anyone verify that it is compatible w/ a 2013 RT?

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
I've found this Ztechnik mount in another thread as an option for mounting a Valentine 1 on a 2013 BMW RT. I'm not clear how or where this mounts but can anyone verify that it is compatible w/ a 2013 RT?
It said "Mirror Mount", which means that it will fit into one of those handlebar mirror mount! So, yes it will fit on '13 RT, but you will need to get a mirror mount, most likely from Wunderlich.

Personally, I don't like mounting the V1 anywhere near that area. Think about what advantages the V1 have over the other detectors! By putting it up front, your body is blocking the rear sensing antennae, and you have basically lost 1/2 of the expensive device's abilities!

· Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
206 Posts
It said "Mirror Mount", which means that it will fit into one of those handlebar mirror mount! So, yes it will fit on '13 RT, but you will need to get a mirror mount, most likely from Wunderlich.

Personally, I don't like mounting the V1 anywhere near that area. Think about what advantages the V1 have over the other detectors! By putting it up front, your body is blocking the rear sensing antennae, and you have basically lost 1/2 of the expensive device's abilities!
So where do you put the Valentine so your body doesn't block part of it?

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is a great question. I have seem some comment on putting the V1 on the side case (somehow). I hope that with a handlebar mount that is high enough and to the side as much as possible, you will only sacrifice a bit of rear radar coverage.

· Premium Member
6,596 Posts
Yes, that is the question! I have had the V1 since owning my '07 RT, and had pondered the question since then. I do have answers, but not quite perfected to my complete satisfaction yet!

If you move the V1 from anywhere but the front, you will not be able to see the display, a very major drawback, nor hear the beeps, which I don't need to hear. Therefore, the first thing that you will need is the remote display for the V1. It wasn't expensive. If the beeps are important to you, they have solutions for that too, but I didn't even look into it. The remote display shows you everything that you would see on the V1 display. Directions, number of bogeys, and all that. So, you will want to mount that somewhere in your line-of-sight while riding. I don't recall where it was on my '07 RT, but I think that I had built a shelf above the dash to hold my Zumo 550, and the remote display was mounted, with Velcro, on top of the Zumo. On the '15 RT, the display was Velcro to the dash right above the GPS. On the present '21 RT, the display is Velcro to the top of the "mushroom" antenna.

Now, I am free to mount the V1 anywhere that I want! From experience, the 3nd best place for me was to the side and rear. I had used a RAM u-bolt mount to attach to my rear crash bar, and a RAM column (or whatever you call that thing) to a magnetic platform where I mounted the V1. Forget the magnetic platform. The magnet is quite strong, but it's not strong enough to hold the V1 in place with the rigor of riding! Regular platform with velcro pads are much less expensive, and better - however, do NOT use the Velcro brand product, even the so-called heavy-duty one. In my experience, that's not strong enough either! The one that I have found to be much better, with much stronger hook/loop design, is this one that I use all over the place now: Tape. The limitation is that, you have to pick which side to mount, and the bike itself will block detection from the other side! I mount on the left side of the RT just because most radar set-up that I usually encounter is either from front, rear, or left.

The 2nd best mount location is to forgo all of the RAM components, and use just the velcro pads to mount the V1 to the top-rear of one of your side case. I don't want to damage the paint, and so mounted to the black plastic part of the pannier. You still have the limitation of the bike blocking sensing of the other side.

I always ride with my topcase, and therefore the very best place to mount the V1 is on top of the topcase! This is where I am still experimenting to find the best method to do so. I did not want to attach any adhesive mount to the painted surface, nor the padded backrest! A U-shape piece of plastic that slips under, and held in place by the padded backrest would be ideal place to add a vecro pad, IMHO, but I haven't tried that yet. I am experimenting with other easier to fabricate method.

Reactions: kbob12

· Cat Herder
1,627 Posts
Camera lens Camera accessory Font Cosmetics Audio equipment
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gear shift
Camera lens Camera accessory Font Cosmetics Audio equipment
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gear shift

I am using a mirror holder from almost any year bike (RS or GS) and use Ram mounts and a Ram 2x3" plate with velcro on it - 1' ball with a 2" long arm. I have done this on a few bikes. Currently on a 2016 RT.

· IBR# 366
12,228 Posts
On top of your helmet, of course. :)

I've run hundreds of thousands of miles with a V1 on the right mirror mount on several different bikes.

Never had any issues reading radar or laser.

I do recommend a brighter LED alert placed directly in your line of sight, or some sort of audible alert in your helmet for extra insurance and quicker reaction times.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
I added as RAM mount direct to the dashboard., and a Marc parnes visual deal on top of the dashboard cowl.

The V1 is on another bike at the moment, which I will post below as there maybe something useful for someone.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Speedometer
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Both the RT and RS have AL Priority laser jamming, two sensors in front, one behind, mountewd similarly - its just easier to photograph the RS at the moment.

The RD mounts to a "pipe clamp" as BMW calls them, which is the rider-ride part of the clutch perch. The RD cover looks really sorry for itself, and it will be replaced shortly.

The Marc Panes unit on the TFT sunshade has a home made housing, and the warning light for the AL Priority is built in.

The cams are Thinkware M1s. The rear laser sensor mount is 3D printed, as are the Skene light housings, the angle adjusters for the Clearwater Billy Lights, and the ALP sensor mounts in front.

White Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Reflex camera Camera lens Camera Digital camera Camera accessory

Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bicycle part

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Fender Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Bicycle part

And looking at these pictures, it's probably time to to get the cleaning gear out!

· Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
275 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Yikes! A lot of complicated solutions to this. I think a 2013 RT has room being the pull-out mirror. I mounted mine there on a 2005 and on a 2017. I wired it from the hot wires of the accessory port on the left. Also mounted a neat little on-off switch in the radio blank. My RT didn't have the radio option, Then I used a couple of good thick plastic bags and hung the detector under the frame inside the mirror housing, in front of the mirror with tie-wraps. Yes, you lose laser coverage...It's too late if you get a laser beep anyway. The front and rear reception were good enough to save many tickets and everything was out of site so I didn't have to remove it all when parking in a strange city. I used the V1 remote. Velcro'd it with super-vecro (the clear plastic stuff) to the underside ledge of the instrument panel. It all looked very slick and I could easily shut if off if being followed by a patrol car or when cruising by strip-malls. I also had a legal-speeding sender in the circuit. That would light up a little red LED in my helmet. I still have all this stuff but I changed to a GSA last year. Haven't installed it yet.

I want:
1. It should work. The setup above worked great on both bikes. The '17 RT was basically the same as the '05 (described above) but on the right side of the bike instead of the left.
2. It should shut off with the ignition switch.
2. Should be OK to park the bike without removing gobs of equipment or constant worry over theft.
3. Should have a quick and stealthy shut-off.
4. Laser is nice, but not really necessary.
5. The range on V1's is way more than you need on a bike unless you like 3 digit speeds. I don't. I just want it for things like cops hanging out at the city limits and other speed traps. I've always had plenty of range with the unit buried in the fairing.

· Registered
275 Posts
Yikes! A lot of complicated solutions to this. I think a 2013 RT has room being the pull-out mirror. I mounted mine there on a 2005 and on a 2017. I wired it from the hot wires of the accessory port on the left. Also mounted a neat little on-off switch in the radio blank. My RT didn't have the radio option, Then I used a couple of good thick plastic bags and hung the detector under the frame inside the mirror housing, in front of the mirror with tie-wraps. Yes, you lose laser coverage...It's too late if you get a laser beep anyway. The front and rear reception were good enough to save many tickets and everything was out of site so I didn't have to remove it all when parking in a strange city. I used the V1 remote. Velcro'd it with super-vecro (the clear plastic stuff) to the underside ledge of the instrument panel. It all looked very slick and I could easily shut if off if being followed by a patrol car or when cruising by strip-malls. I also had a legal-speeding sender in the circuit. That would light up a little red LED in my helmet. I still have all this stuff but I changed to a GSA last year. Haven't installed it yet.

I want:
1. It should work. The setup above worked great on both bikes. The '17 RT was basically the same as the '05 (described above) but on the right side of the bike instead of the left.
2. It should shut off with the ignition switch.
2. Should be OK to park the bike without removing gobs of equipment or constant worry over theft.
3. Should have a quick and stealthy shut-off.
4. Laser is nice, but not really necessary.
5. The range on V1's is way more than you need on a bike unless you like 3 digit speeds. I don't. I just want it for things like cops hanging out at the city limits and other speed traps. I've always had plenty of range with the unit buried in the fairing.
Sorry....I meant to say "I think the 2013 has room BEHIND the pull-out mirror.

· Cat Herder
1,627 Posts
you can put the Valentine anywhere you want. It will work all the same. I have the one in my car sitting in the cup holder pointing straight down and it works fine. Unless you will be going ludicrous speed or Plaid... you will be fine. (what movie is that from?)

· Registered
2022 R1250RT & 2005 KLR650
206 Posts
"If you're livin' in a bubble and you haven't got a care
Well, you're gonna be in trouble 'cause we're gonna steal your air
'Cause what you got is what we need and all we do is dirty deeds..."

Thanks for the laugh.

· Registered
25 Posts
My new Valentine1 G2 is coming on the wells fargo wagon tomorrow, and this thread has been very helpful in options for mouinting on my 2016 RT - I'm going to start with the V1 on RAM mounts above the right switchgear, and move my Android to a RAM above the left hand. My goal is to use the phone's display, and bluetooth the alerts from the V1 to the phone to my Sena.

Will this work? Any advice on whether to start with the factory's "V1 connection, the app" or JVB1?

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Unless I've misunderstood, the human body doesn't do much to block rader and inside a tank bag works well enough as long as you are paying attention. Did it that way for years without issue

Mine is on a mount simply to keep it out of the way.

As for laser, that's why there are laser jammers! The detector will, as noted above, just tell you look for a good stopping place.

· IBR# 366
12,228 Posts
Laser... well, as a friend of mine says, all the laser warning does is tell you to look for a place to pull over.
Not necessarily.

I got lasered in WA by a LEO standing at the side of the road just past a small rise (obvious speed trap) and my V1 let me know immediately. The LEO just happened to be rather sluggish putting his laser gun away and getting back into his car. There just happened to be an off ramp just around the next corner. And I just happened to need gas from the far back pump island at that very moment.

After filling up, I took a few scenic back roads to my destination and arrived without incident. :)

Another time the laser lit up just as I pulled up even with a car to the right of me. I tapped the rear brake to scrub some speed, which made the car to my right look like it had shot forward. The LEO pulled out and pulled over the car that had been to my right. I did feel a little bad for him as I rode on unmolested...

Reactions: kbob12
1 - 20 of 20 Posts