BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Test rides will be very revealing. You'll find out why there are so many former F650GS owners on the VStorm sites.

After looking at other reports of forks failing on the gs650 , there are copies of letters from BMW denying any problems with the said forks. Even though people have been injured. One fellow in the UK had his snap off with only 1400 miles on his new bike [birthday present] . BMW said he must have abused the bike. The letter denying the problem seemed written in a rude way basically telling the guy too piss off.

F650GS-TNT Special Edition

·
Registered
375 Posts
D.Kinsey said:
So what's your point??? :confused:

For me the point was to learn from the guy lying on the road. That, and my previous BMW LT and GT experience; is why I bought the Wee-Strom. Now I ride without having to think about whether the bike will make it or not.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
ez_rdr55 said:
For me the point was to learn from the guy lying on the road. That, and my previous BMW LT and GT experience; is why I bought the Wee-Strom. Now I ride without having to think about whether the bike will make it or not.
Maybe you outta.....The forks that have failed on the GS have been Showa's.....anyone wanna guess what's on the zuk?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure. Forks have never been a concern/topic of conversation or issue with the VStrom. But it appears to be a different casting at twice the diameter of the GS650. The forks are also mounted to the wheel in a more stoutly way (center of folk).........

......and not to the outside of the fork like the GS650.

I never considered the forks stoutly on the GS650. And never liked the way they were mounted to the wheel. It is one of the reasons I stepped away from the GS650 even before I learned of the fork issues.

In addition, the VStorm 650 doesn’t have a documented history from owners of fork failures. In fact, there isn’t a document case of anything failing on those VStroms. Biggest problem/complaint I’ve seen is from buffering at highway speeds (65+) from the stock windshield for some riders in the 6 foot and above height range.

·
Registered
375 Posts
D.Kinsey said:
Maybe you outta.....The forks that have failed on the GS have been Showa's.....anyone wanna guess what's on the zuk?

No, I don't think I'll give it a second thought. There is not a history of problems with the Wee. This really speaks volumes to the differences in how manufacturers address issues. You certainly will never learn from your mistakes if you have never made any.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
You certainly will never learn from your mistakes if you have never made any.

Good point!

·
Registered
48 Posts
ez_rdr55 said:
No, I don't think I'll give it a second thought. There is not a history of problems with the Wee.
I ride an '04 DL650 Wee-Strom with almost 70,000 kms on the clock (a bit over 40,000 miles). Bought it new in May 2004 (first year model). Most of the mileage has been two-up, loaded with side and top cases. Never had a single problem with it... Ever! I do my own maintenance, and the biggest job I ever did on it was adjusting the valves.

Can't speak for the F650GS (thumper - not the twin). If I was in the market for a general use motorcycle with moderate off-road ability, even considering that the new (old?) G650GS is actually cheaper than a DL650ABS, I'd still get the Wee-Strom.

Cheers,
Lucky

·
Registered
375 Posts
The only issue with my Wee was the windshield or lack there of. I didn’t get the buffeting that some experience, but I did have a lot of wind noise. I have moved the stock screen up to the “super secret” top position and added a Touring Laminar Lip. These two things have reduced the wind noise about 90%. I’ve read that tilting the screen back about 5 degrees also helps. I’ve got some plastic shim stock for this and make a set next week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ez_rdr55 said:
I’ve read that tilting the screen back about 5 degrees also helps. I’ve got some plastic shim stock for this and make a set next week.
There's an aftermarket bracket available that allows you to adjust the screen up/down and tilt without removing it. For me, the up/down adjustment didn't change much, but once I got it tilted about 8 degrees back... Whoa, perfect!

Google for Madstad and you should find it.

Cheers,
Lucky

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re the pics above of the F650GS accident in the Yukon

Firstly a clarification, he is she so to speak if you observe the photo's more closely

Secondly there are now 5 NHTSA reports of axle mount failures, The report Numbers are 10244404, 10252808, 10238415, 10245369, 10250116. There is also a report to Australian DOTARS road safety Authorities. Beyond these reports 12 other cases are recorded and a further 5 instances are being followed up to get confirmation, The failures have been in the US, UK, Australia, Germany & Italy. There is anecdotal information that there are many other instances buried in insurance accident write off's.

Lastly it is only machines manufactured prior to Oct '02 which are affected, owners can check the status of their machines using the thread over at AdvRider

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393785

Any owner of one of the early machines would be wise to check the machine & encouraged to make a complaint to BMW

·
Registered
375 Posts
luckyll said:
There's an aftermarket bracket available that allows you to adjust the screen up/down and tilt without removing it. For me, the up/down adjustment didn't change much, but once I got it tilted about 8 degrees back... Whoa, perfect!

Google for Madstad and you should find it.

Cheers,
Lucky
Thanks Lucky. I did a lot of research before getting the Wee and the Madstad was on my list of things to get, but my local dealer said to try the Laminar Lip first. I am very happy with this setup, but I only have 400 miles on the bike so far. I will be spending 5 weeks on the Wee this summer and will put 25K-30K miles on it and who knows maybe I will be changing my mind about the Madstad by then.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The stock seat is good for about 2-3 hours on the average butt. You are going to need another seat for the amount of riding you are planning on.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Xavier6162 said:
The stock seat is good for about 2-3 hours on the average butt. You are going to need another seat for the amount of riding you are planning on.

I've heard that about the seat and that too is on my list. I've had 4 Corbins on various bikes and except for a 20,000 mile break-in period on the LT I’ve had good luck with all 4. I guess this will be Corbin number 5.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.