BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
I've tested various height Cee Baily screens, CalSci, V-Stream, and of course, stock.

The CalSci was good solo but not two-up, the tall Cee Bailey was good solo (haven't tried it two-up), the shorter Cee Baileys less so, the stock sucked, and the V-Stream was the worst of all.

The biggest issue is that the K16 fairings let so much air in around the sides. And the V-Stream is specifically designed to funnel more air around the sides, which just makes this worse. Wider screens do help move air away from the chest and upper arms, but the K16 fairing still dumps a ton of air into your lap/abdomen that swirls around and causes turbulence.

Another problem with the K16 bikes is that the windscreen arms raise the screen up to quite a steep angle. So you either have to run a very short screen (not good for passengers), or you have to look through the screen.

And, of course, the GT sits you higher but leaned further forward, while the GTL sits you more upright, but lower. The screen adjustment does help with this, but there are so many differences in rider height and preference that it's hard to have one screen that does everything for everbody.

I'm currently running the latest AeroFlow prototype screen on my GTL. Paige has come up with a design that works well solo, but can be raised for better passenger protection, while still allowing you to look over it if you prefer. We're still tweaking it to give better passenger coverage, and verifying it on the GT bikes, but it is coming along nicely.

And to help with all the wind coming around the sides, Paige has developed a set of side AeroGards that push the side wind out just a bit further, thus taking most of the wind off of your hands and lower arms, and leaving you sitting in calmer air. The factory air scoops still work to let in additional airflow as needed on hot days, but not so much air that it overwhelms what's happening at the screen level.

The AeroGards even worked well with some other screen types that we tried.

So what I think is the best option of all is coming along, but not quite ready to release just yet. Paige is a perfectionist, so when he does get a design that he's satified with, you know that it will be right.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
meese said:
I've tested various height Cee Baily screens, CalSci, V-Stream, and of course, stock.

The CalSci was good solo but not two-up, the tall Cee Bailey was good solo (haven't tried it two-up), the shorter Cee Baileys less so, the stock sucked, and the V-Stream was the worst of all.

The biggest issue is that the K16 fairings let so much air in around the sides. And the V-Stream is specifically designed to funnel more air around the sides, which just makes this worse. Wider screens do help move air away from the chest and upper arms, but the K16 fairing still dumps a ton of air into your lap/abdomen that swirls around and causes turbulence.

Another problem with the K16 bikes is that the windscreen arms raise the screen up to quite a steep angle. So you either have to run a very short screen (not good for passengers), or you have to look through the screen.

And, of course, the GT sits you higher but leaned further forward, while the GTL sits you more upright, but lower. The screen adjustment does help with this, but there are so many differences in rider height and preference that it's hard to have one screen that does everything for everbody.

I'm currently running the latest AeroFlow prototype screen on my GTL. Paige has come up with a design that works well solo, but can be raised for better passenger protection, while still allowing you to look over it if you prefer. We're still tweaking it to give better passenger coverage, and verifying it on the GT bikes, but it is coming along nicely.

And to help with all the wind coming around the sides, Paige has developed a set of side AeroGards that push the side wind out just a bit further, thus taking most of the wind off of your hands and lower arms, and leaving you sitting in calmer air. The factory air scoops still work to let in additional airflow as needed on hot days, but not so much air that it overwhelms what's happening at the screen level.

The AeroGards even worked well with some other screen types that we tried.

So what I think is the best option of all is coming along, but not quite ready to release just yet. Paige is a perfectionist, so when he does get a design that he's satified with, you know that it will be right.
I may wait on Aeroflow , passenger is not as important to me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Counter-Point: I love my V-Stream on the GTL and so does the wife! Nuff said.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
old1951 said:
Counter-Point: I love my V-Stream on the GTL and so does the wife! Nuff said.
Again this proves that Windshields, oil & tires among other things are all subjective. What works for me may not work for you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
katnapinn said:
Again this proves that Windshields, oil & tires among other things are all subjective. What works for me may not work for you. :rolleyes:
True Dat i guess ill start with Cal-Sic :bmw:

·
IBR# 366
16,582 Posts
I now have 4,000 miles on the AeroFlow screen & AeroGards. These things work.

Paige is finalizing the production molds and will be getting the first set of screens in by the end of the month.

It isn't on his website yet, as he wants to see the finished product and make sure that it lives up to his standards of perfection. But he is taking pre-orders, so you can contact them and get your name put on the list. :)

I'm just about to head out on another 6,000-mile week-long trip, and I'm glad to have his stuff on my bike.

·
Registered
659 Posts
meese said:
I now have 4,000 miles on the AeroFlow screen & AeroGards. These things work.

Paige is finalizing the production molds and will be getting the first set of screens in by the end of the month.

It isn't on his website yet, as he wants to see the finished product and make sure that it lives up to his standards of perfection. But he is taking pre-orders, so you can contact them and get your name put on the list. :)

I'm just about to head out on another 6,000-mile week-long trip, and I'm glad to have his stuff on my bike.
Did you get a chance to check it with a pillion rider?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts