BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a V-Stream about a year ago. I began to suspect that it had reduced my mileage "about 2 mpg". I decided to do a proper test. As a former Engineering Technician, I know about things like lurking variables and did my best to eliminate them. Each shield was tested 90% at 70 mph* on the Interstate, and 10% at 62 mph* on state 2 lane highways. The tests were replicated. Here's the data:
V-Stream Run #1 45.76 mpg Run #2 44.88 mpg Avg. = 45.32 mpg
Stock Run #1 47.88 mpg Run #2 46.77 mpg Avg. = 47.33 mpg
for a difference of 2.01 mpg. However, noting the difference in the runs, I'm only comfortable calling the difference "about 2 mpg".

The V-stream is a little bit quieter. It also made the bike just a little unsteady between 65* and 79* mph. (it's a very big shield).

*actual speed, not BMW speed, as determined by a digital Sigma sport speedo calibrated to within 1/2%.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Interesting as I am considering getting a new shield to replace my scratched stock shield. Of course, increased mpg claims will be something I'll be looking at.

What year is your LT? Did you use the same gas from the same pump for all tests?

Also, was your screen full up in each test?

·
Registered
220 Posts
HarvRead said:
I bought a V-Stream about a year ago. I began to suspect that it had reduced my mileage "about 2 mpg". I decided to do a proper test. As a former Engineering Technician, I know about things like lurking variables and did my best to eliminate them. Each shield was tested 90% at 70 mph* on the Interstate, and 10% at 62 mph* on state 2 lane highways. The tests were replicated. Here's the data:
V-Stream Run #1 45.76 mpg Run #2 44.88 mpg Avg. = 45.32 mpg
Stock Run #1 47.88 mpg Run #2 46.77 mpg Avg. = 47.33 mpg
for a difference of 2.01 mpg. However, noting the difference in the runs, I'm only comfortable calling the difference "about 2 mpg".

The V-stream is a little bit quieter. It also made the bike just a little unsteady between 65* and 79* mph. (it's a very big shield).

*actual speed, not BMW speed, as determined by a digital Sigma sport speedo calibrated to within 1/2%.
That's interesting!
I just put a CB shield on; a -2", and I am getting 2 mpg more.

If we would all vote these liberal elitist's out of office; who would give a rat's *** about gas mileage 'eh?
Then we would have more time to enjoy this wonderful German engineering. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sonnata said:
Interesting as I am considering getting a new shield to replace my scratched stock shield. Of course, increased mpg claims will be something I'll be looking at.

What year is your LT? Did you use the same gas from the same pump for all tests?

Also, was your screen full up in each test?
1. It's a 2000
2. That was covered under "lurking variables".
3. Both shields were adjusted so that my line of sight hit the ground about 50' in front of the bike. About 3/4 up.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Ditto on mine. The V-Stream lowered my mileage, but after all what do you expect it is blocking more air and that has to come with a price. I'll put her back on in the winter but I am back to massive air flow with the Euro shield for the hot summer.

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is why I expect to buy a Parabellum windshield. They guarentee an improvement in MPG and give you 30 days to test ti on them as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts