BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 RT
She has approximately 55K+ miles on her. Of late I have noticed that I have had to add oil - like up to a 1/2 quart per ride - say 300+ miles. There is no oil on the floor when she sits between rides. There is no smoke nor smell when she is running.

Any ideas? Is this normal for this type of engine and mileage?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Boxers do have a tendency to use a quart between changes, but what you're describing sounds excessive to me. I'd pull your spark plugs and look for signs of oil burning. And, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
As others have said, the hexhead (MY 2005-2009) and the camheads (MY 2010-2013) tends to burn some oil. That doesn't happen with the newer generation boxers.

My old '07 RT used to burn about 1/2 quart of oil in between oil change.

Reactions: Lopaca

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boxers do have a tendency to use a quart between changes, but what you're describing sounds excessive to me. I'd pull your spark plugs and look for signs of oil burning. And, then go from there.
Thank you - I'll do that.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Folks, the OP is burning oil at a rate of roughly 3+ pints per 1000 miles, which is WAY more than normal. And 55,000 miles is mileage, but nothing to get very excited about.

Having owned boxers of various persuasions on & off for 45 years, I've never seen consumption like that without there being some serious issue. The worst I've had was a pint per thousand, and that was when running really hard for long distances

The obvious culprits would be worn guide(s), damaged rings or rings not sealing.

If you've been over filling and are playing catch-up each time, that's another series of issues.

Any white smoke, blue smoke, change in fuel consumption?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Folks, the OP is burning oil at a rate of roughly 3+ pints per 1000 miles, which is WAY more than normal. And 55,000 miles is mileage, but nothing to get very excited about.

Having owned boxers of various persuasions on & off for 45 years, I've never seen consumption like that without there being some serious issue. The worst I've had was a pint per thousand, and that was when running really hard for long distances

The obvious culprits would be worn guide(s), damaged rings or rings not sealing.

If you've been over filling and are playing catch-up each time, that's another series of issues.

Any white smoke, blue smoke, change in fuel consumption?
No white smoke nor blue smoke. Going out tomorrow for a 350 mile ride. I'll see how she does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts