BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got hit by a car not flying up the off ramp and not paying attention. He got a ticket. Turned into the insurance, no one got hurt. Found out the next day my insurance had lapsed. No fault in Mi. so I'm going to have to fix the bike on my own.Is there a place to get used body parts for a 1200 lt. Structurally the bike is ok. Front fairing and fairing frame is bent and broke. Windscreen mounting broke and my front brake lever is broke off. The c bailey windscreen is cracked but I have a spare.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
One of our forum sponsors is listed in the "Support our Sponsors" page - might be a good source for some of the needed parts. Name is *Beemer Boneyard*. Good luck with the fix-up; glad you weren't damaged.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Bones1955 said:
As far as I know "no fault" only pertains to medical.
If he was in the wrong his insurance should pay.
No fault means you pay for everything yourself no matter who is at fault. So if you don't have full coverage on your vehicle you get nothing. All you can do in Michigan is go to small claims court & I think the most you can get there is $1000.

·
Registered
228 Posts
saddleman said:
No fault means you pay for everything yourself no matter who is at fault. So if you don't have full coverage on your vehicle you get nothing. All you can do in Michigan is go to small claims court & I think the most you can get there is $1000.
Well that sucks..its not that way in NY.
No fault is for medical here so that if there is not enough insurance to cover the bills your own has to pay ..I think maybe they even pay then get it from the other guys insurance..nt sure.
But it has nothing to do with the liability of damage to a vehicle here.
Whoever is at fault their insurance pays..sometimes of course it's a split of some proportions.

Also yes you would need collision to fix your bike if it's your fault in NY also.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

In WA you bust up someones stuff you pay to fix it! What good is it to have to pay for someone elses screw up. Sounds like something the insurance companies dreamed up in order to sell collision insurance.

Loren

·
Registered
594 Posts
Interesting lesson for us here in Europe planning a bike-trip to US. I guess in the whole Europe the guilty one pays always - everything - medical and material damage. In Finland it is not possible to drive without insurance - you always have it. If you don't you still have it :histerica . Meaning you have to pay it afterwards with heavy penalties. Still you yourself are covered for medical (if you might be the guilty one) and the medical and material damages of the other party.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how he hit you in the front of your bike and he got the ticket? On the off ramp?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
In the US it is definitely different than it is in Finland. In fact, as you can see the laws vary from state to state. The big difference on the medical side is that we don't have socialized medicine. If you are lucky you work for a large company that provides good health insurance for their employees.

If you don't want to carry ANY insurance you can always ride in the state of Washington. No insurance of any kind is required for motorcycle riders. I'm not saying its a good thing its just how it is.

Loren

·
Registered
594 Posts
wa1200lt said:
In the US it is definitely different than it is in Finland. In fact, as you can see the laws vary from state to state. The big difference on the medical side is that we don't have socialized medicine. Loren
Yep. Well familiar with the basic difference. Really do not know which one is better??? Anyway differences in how mandatory the insurances are and the coveradge of them - that is (was) a surprise to me.

The most basic difference between average european (and some) US states regulations seem to be

- In Europe you can always expect yourself to be covered for medical (by insurance companies)
- You can always expect to be covered for everything if you are the innocent one
- Against you being the guilty one - you can (and most of us do) have an insurance covering one's own material damage (as said the other party is ALWAYS covered by your mandatory insurance)

Well. When my dream comes true and I can arrange time (and some money :) ) to bike-trip in US, I do know to have myself (and everybody!) covered by all needed voluntary(?) insurances needed.

Next time on a business visit I will read the rental agreement / policy of a car with a lot more attention as I have done so far...

·
Registered
252 Posts
havnablast said:
Just got hit by a car not flying up the off ramp and not paying attention. He got a ticket. Turned into the insurance, no one got hurt. Found out the next day my insurance had lapsed. No fault in Mi. so I'm going to have to fix the bike on my own.Is there a place to get used body parts for a 1200 lt. Structurally the bike is ok. Front fairing and fairing frame is bent and broke. Windscreen mounting broke and my front brake lever is broke off. The c bailey windscreen is cracked but I have a spare.
Any help would be appreciated.

I just started parting out a 2003 (silver color) due to clutch failure I probably have most of the parts you need,
PM me offline

Lowell

1 - 12 of 12 Posts