BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Don: I went through this process last year on an 05. From my experience, you need to:

1. Look at the year and mileage -- see if there is excessive mileage done.
2. Where he took the bike for warranty and post warranty work.
3. When the fluids were last changed.
4. The condition of where it was stored.
5. The side wings, etc. to see if it was dropped.
6. As the bike is on the center stand, go to back wheel and hold the tire at the 2 and 7 o'clock position and wiggle it. Any excessive movement, red flag.
7. Get a buddy to look at it with you who knows BMW's for two reasons - he is not emotionally tied to the bike and 2.) he can give you an extra set of eyes on it.
8. See if the bike was painted.
9. Run the radio, CD, and everything else to ensure it works.
10. Go to ebay and craigslist and see if the bike is selling at comparable prices.
11. Look at the year the tires were made and the depth of the tread.
12. Ask the owner to show you any receipts for repairs - if he does his own repairs, ask him to document parts.
13. Call the local dealership with the VIN and see what work they have done on the bike (or the history of where the bike was registered). Not too sure if there is a national database like Lexus has on VINs)

I can go on and on, but honestly, the best thing is to look the guy in the eyes and ask him "if you were me, what would you have done to the bike." If he doesn't look you in the eyes, when he answers you, might be a red flag.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've just paid for my LT - going to collect it on Sunday - I had a friend who lives in the area go and look at it for me. I asked him to look at the bike (it's an '08 with less than 10k on it, with the remainder of a dealer's warranty), and also to look at the paperwork.

But the most important thing in my mind was to get him to check out the seller. As Don said, if he can look you in the eye, it's likely to be ok.

The report I got back described the bike as "honest & kosher", and the seller as "dead straight" - hence my paying for it without seeing it for myself.

Now I realise that in some folk's eyes that me seem a trifle ummm.......let's say childish, but once in a while you have to trust folk - particularly if you live on a rock in the middle of the North Sea.

I'll post a photo of the bike when I get home with it on Wednesday ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
StClair said:
if you live on a rock in the middle of the North Sea.
Congratulations on the new to you bike. Now tell us, what is biking like on the Shetland Islands and how long a ferry ride is it to the mainland?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you, kind sir! :wave

The boat from Aberdeen takes 12 or 14 hours overnight, depending on whether or not it's calling into Orkney.

There's a lot more roads in Shetland than you might imagine, from well surfaced two-lane A-roads, with some interesting bends, to some exceedingly interesting single-track ones. I've done 200 miles in a day up here, and there are several smaller islands, apart from the Shetland Mainland, which you can access either by bridge or an Inter-Island ferry (40 mins max).

There's a lot of interest in bikes up here, of all types, from vintage, to sports, to offroad, and anything in between. There are two clubs, the Shetland Classic MCC, and the Zetland MCC. Google "Shetland Classic Motorcycle Show" and "Simmer Dim Rally" for a small insight into some of the goings-on

I've attached a couple of photos taken in Shetland for a tiny flavour of the place.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Congrats on the new LT acquisition Dave! And it appears that you do have roads as well! Now you need to update your Sig line to show the new Bike.

John

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'll bet all you Shetland bikers get real good riding in the rain. How long is your riding season?

·
Registered
123 Posts
You're right there, Michael! They say we get 3 months of Winter, and 9 months of bad weather. It does get a tad damp now and then :histerica - that's why I use Bridgestones - it's worth sacrificing some wear for better wet grip

Thing is, it's not as cold as you might think ('cos of the Gulf Stream), and there have been years when I've ridden at least once in every month. When the weather is good, it's excellent riding up here.

John, I'll change my signature when the bike's nice and safe in my shed - I won't forget! ;) By the way, I seem to have mised something here (or I'm being particularly dense) - I don't recall putting my name on any of the posts I've made :confused: - not concerned, but where did you find it?

Any'ow, I'm off to finish my packing - got a 14:30 flight out of here to go and collect the bike - so I'll sign in again on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Safe flight of the island.

I know it is almost impossible but a picture of your facial expression when you see your prize for the first time I mean with your name on it. Like when you give your kid that toy they always wanted.

Each time I went to the dealers yes more than just one I had on my poker face. Sometimes I would even look at all the other bikes around paying no attention to what I really wanted. The salesperson usually a guy, would ask you like this RT or 1300 or whatever I was next to. The conversation would continue what are you riding now, Goldwing and he would then direct me to the best in the corner away from where I was. Voila! the LT.

Finally after the deal my whole aura was different. I even went to the men's . . . And the day (Apr. '10) I actually picked it up you would think it was Christmas, I was lit up like a Christmas tree my face that is. I visited the men's again and the mirror told it all. :( Stop it don't cry.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Click on your underlined screen name 'StClair' on any of your posts. Right next to your avatar. This takes you to your public profile which contains your name.

Loren

StClair said:
You're right there, Michael! They say we get 3 months of Winter, and 9 months of bad weather. It does get a tad damp now and then :histerica - that's why I use Bridgestones - it's worth sacrificing some wear for better wet grip

Thing is, it's not as cold as you might think ('cos of the Gulf Stream), and there have been years when I've ridden at least once in every month. When the weather is good, it's excellent riding up here.

John, I'll change my signature when the bike's nice and safe in my shed - I won't forget! ;) By the way, I seem to have mised something here (or I'm being particularly dense) - I don't recall putting my name on any of the posts I've made :confused: - not concerned, but where did you find it?

Any'ow, I'm off to finish my packing - got a 14:30 flight out of here to go and collect the bike - so I'll sign in again on Wednesday.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ahhhh, yes - see what you mean, Loren - thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts