BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can an LT rear tire which is 160/70-17 be used on a GS which normally uses a 150/70-17?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Should work, except it might throw off the speedo by a few, up or down, I can never remember which way. I think smaller tire makes it read faster.

I don't think you'll like the off-road handling of the GS with the LT tire. :histerica

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I think the only difference is the tire width, not height. If that be the case the speedo won't change. As to the width, measure all clearances to frame members to make sure no tire rubbing will take place .

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I don't know so much about motorcycle tires, but with car tires the 2nd number is the aspect ratio of height to width. If the if the height ratio stays the same, 70 in this case, the width of 150 to 160 will also increase the outside diameter. Might not be much.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Meaning of 160 / 70 is 160 mm in width and 70% of this in hight, in this case 112 mm.
On a 150 / 70 it is only 105 mm in hight that means your OD will increase by 14 mm, makes a little in speed not much.

Manfred

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. The LT tire should be about 1/4 inch wider on each side. It shouldn't rub on anything. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts