BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, Just ordered a All Weather USB Hardwire Kit from Cyclenutz to keep my Ipod charged while connected to the bike and playing music and avoid hanging extra cables outside of the bike. Question is, will it be ok to drill a small hole on the pocket right by the flash light bracket to run the wires? (I can always put black silicone) It`s just a negative and a possitive will take a very small diameter hole, probably 2 to 3mm. And will it be ok to wire it directly to the battery? I know they don`t suck too much power but I don`t want to kill the battery in case I forget about it. I can always find a ignition switched power sourse to avoid this and even run a fused relay if I have to, but it will be nice if I don`t have to go thru all that. Personally I think this will be a great way to accessorize the bike for your music needs on long trips, You guys should check it out at cyclenutz.com and look for it. (unless i`m a bit too late for that since I`m a k1200lt newbie). Any ideas will be apreciated.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I would advise using a switched power source as the LT is a little difficult to push start.

And a fuse is also a good idea.. Just in case..

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,775 Posts
Just be careful as you drill the fuel tank is right under that clip!!!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
There's plenty of info on flat batteries from the "DICE" unit's constant live "feature" not switching off from charging ipod's/iphones... only takes a couple of days to kill the battery.
I know your not using a DICE, but....
I'd go a switched source as a precaution for any additional wiring... take it from the rear powerlet that's pretty unused for the most part, simplest and cleanest switched source to access, afaik.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If i'm understanding correctly, I don't think sealing that space is much of a concern. You will want either some clearance around the wires so the hole doesn't abrade the wire insulation or a hole big enough for a proper rubber grommet to provide sealing and protection.

Also, if you are going to use silicon and/or make the hole just big enough for the wire, you are setting yourself (or service person) up to disassemble everything to get the stingray off. You may want to consider making the hole big enough to get the end connector out easily and finding a more removable/replaceable solution for the entire wire harness.

Just my thoughts,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts