BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anybody has taken US Route 66 east to west coast;and is it as Great as you hear about it;or is just a boring route ;with lot better options for going west.
I am just checking on some options for this riding season.

Gary
2003 K1200LT :bmw:

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
only bits and pieces are open. The bits that are are open going through towns are pretty cool, like Santa Rosa or Williams. A lot of it is now interstate (I40). You have to find the "historic route 66 roads". The internet is a good source. Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gary, I have never ridden it myself, from what I have read it is a great ride. I understand that it get a little hard to follow sometimes since some of the old road is gone having been swallowed up by the interstate. There is plenty of info out there that should give the detail of the road. It should be a great ride that I would like to take myself someday.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
GaryEm said:
I was just wondering if anybody has taken US Route 66 east to west coast;and is it as Great as you hear about it;or is just a boring route ;with lot better options for going west.
I am just checking on some options for this riding season.

Gary
2003 K1200LT :bmw:

I have always wanted to ride 66 but on some type of antique motorcycle. Possibly a belt drive model with a hand oil pump.

Robert

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert;;You go head and ride your antigue motorcycle;I WILL see you on the west coast.;;;;;I will ride in comfort on my LT

Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Been on it as recently as 2011.
After getting my LT I set out to do just that. Got as far as Oklahoma City and decided to cut the trip short because of my 6k maintenance check so I hightailed it to TX from that point. Yes I got off and on at different points got in some major sites to me. It got better from St. Louis MO to OK. Chicago where it starts to Joliet I have done many times on other bikes. Plan to finish it someday, I hope.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
Took the ride several years ago with another couple . . .

So to really enjoy you must go with the proper attitude, stop often and at out of the way
places, do not rush and be prepared on occasion to go on roads that just may end in the
middle of no where.

This should be an adventure and will require some preplanning . . .

Here is a site that will get you going - state by state and town by town http://www.historic66.com/

Would be best if you took a camera and posted a ride report so all can enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If you are looking to make good time, forget it. The original Route 66 is pretty abstract these days. Lots of small town odd-ball things to see along the way if you have the time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
mwnahas said:
only bits and pieces are open. The bits that are are open going through towns are pretty cool, like Santa Rosa or Williams. A lot of it is now interstate (I40). You have to find the "historic route 66 roads". The internet is a good source. Good luck.
I'm with you on this one Michael. Route 66 is now no more than a romantic fantasy. It was superseded by interstates 55, 44 and 40. All that remains is Historic 66 that exits off the interstates and goes through various towns and cities along the way and leads right back to the interstate on the other side. Adventurers will be keeping close quarters with soccer moms in mini vans through lots of stop lights - not my idea of an LT trip.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
deanwoolsey said:
If you are looking to make good time, forget it. The original Route 66 is pretty abstract these days. Lots of small town odd-ball things to see along the way if you have the time.
You are right about odd towns with small things :rolleyes:
Some where in the night between Tulsa and Oklahoma City I saw a giant Pepsi Cola bottle all lighted up when full. Camera ran out of juice no picture.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts