BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Upshift to 2nd gear unreliable?

5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Rashou812 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

Shifting from 1st to 2nd gear is starting to become somewhat unreliable. I have a 2006 LT and just had the 24K service done at the local dealer. I've experienced "missed" 2nd gear (remains in neutral) before, but now its seems more frequent.

At first I thought I just wasn't going far enough with the foot shift lever, but I've been watching the gear indicator and it definitely says "2" when I release the clutch... then I hear the high pitch whine of engine spinning free in neutral.

Shifting from 2 to 3, 4, 5 and all downshifting is perfectly smooth. Its only 1st to 2nd that's a problem.

Anybody experience similar, or know what's involved, or common cures. Thanks so much for your thoughts.

- Don

#2 ·
First thing I'd check is the shift linkage, You could also check with the dealer you had the service done with, and find out if they check, clean and lube the shift linkage as part of the 24K service...

#3 ·
Clean, lube, and adjust shift linkeage as necessary..

Then learn how to shift....:D

Put a little up pressure on the shifter prior to clutching...

When you clutch the shift will be much more positive and usually goes right in...

I miss that shift sometimes too.. Not to worry...I hate to say it's normal... But.....

John

#4 ·
Don,
I am sure if you have ridden this bike for 24K miles you know if it is shifting differently than it used to. Cleaning and adjusting the linkage would be the best place to start. I have found that my LT shifts slightly differently than any other BMW I have owned. I learned a long time ago that BMW's require a little "pre-load" on the shifter before clutching. On my LT though, I have found that it actually shifts smoother if I release the clutch before I let the pressure off the shift lever. Also, the LT seems to require winding 1st gear out further and getting the RPM's up before shifting. The LT just seems to like being hot rodded more than my older K1100LT. Good luck.
Ride Safely,
Steve

#5 ·
I have the same problem, only shifting from 1st to 2nd.
First time it happened I had only had the bike for a few days and was really worried something was wrong with the tranny. It happened a couple times after that but now I leave the shifter in the up position till I have released the clutch. and haven't experienced it since. I can't say for sure if thats the reason it hasn't happened, but so far so good. At least now I know it's just a "quirk" on the LT and not a major repair.

#7 ·
The preload is one way, but I've found that I was not winding her up enough in 1st. After getting a few more RPM's turning, she shifted almost every time smoothly. Plus, it's just more fun :dance:

#8 ·
Mine does it sometimes. I can feel two clicks or little bumps when I shift into second. If I let the clutch out before the second click is felt it is sometimes in neutral or jumps out of second gear back to neutral. Mine has done it since I got the bike at 47,000 miles & now at 115,000 miles it is the same.

#9 ·
Just went out for a short ride to get fuel and after turning onto the highway, I couldn't get out of first gear. I had to wind up the revs to get going so I wouldn't hold up traffic. Thankfully my turnoff was only 1/4 mile down the hwy. Pulled into a small shopping centre and the shift lever was limp and I could move it up or down but not change gears.
So I rode the few miles home at 4000 to 5000 rpm in first gear and parked it the garage. Will have to look at it tomorrow morning. I printed out the shift lever parts diagram so once I crawl under there I might see what is missing or disconnected. Hopefuully I can do this repair myself because my dealer is about 15 miles away.
Looks like it could be a ball pin may have come loose or broke. Just guessing at this point!
What next@#%@&.
Jim :confused: :confused:

#10 ·
K12smitty said:
Don,
I am sure if you have ridden this bike for 24K miles you know if it is shifting differently than it used to. Cleaning and adjusting the linkage would be the best place to start. I have found that my LT shifts slightly differently than any other BMW I have owned. I learned a long time ago that BMW's require a little "pre-load" on the shifter before clutching. On my LT though, I have found that it actually shifts smoother if I release the clutch before I let the pressure off the shift lever. Also, the LT seems to require winding 1st gear out further and getting the RPM's up before shifting. The LT just seems to like being hot rodded more than my older K1100LT. Good luck.
Ride Safely,
Steve
Technically, Don didn't say he had put all 24K miles on the bike, just that he had the 24K service done, but I like your suggestions. I notice the same thing w/ my 99 I just purchased, so I'll be trying these techniques next time I get a chance to ride it. ;)

#11 ·
bikerj said:
Technically, Don didn't say he had put all 24K miles on the bike, just that he had the 24K service done, but I like your suggestions. I notice the same thing w/ my 99 I just purchased, so I'll be trying these techniques next time I get a chance to ride it. ;)
Don bought it in January of '09 ... according to that post.
I still don't think one should have to know anything more than 1 - Pull in clutch; 2 - Tap shifter up; 3 - Let go of clutch. ;)

German engineering? :rolleyes:

#12 ·
My '05 has > 122,000 miles, and it loves to and be revved to at least 3000 before I shift. Below that, it is somewhat "clunky". The lower rpm's is where I hit neutral instead of second sometimes. My '85 K100RS was almost identical in that respect.

#13 ·
If the shifting issue is simply going from 1st to neutral, take the footpeg plate loose, look for the small pins that hold the "cups" on, pull them aside and out. Just one side will suffice. and shorten the "throw" of the linkage. While your at it, clean the linkage with brake cleaner or what not. Grease the "cups" and put it back together. Simple fix.

#14 ·
Thats what happened with my newly bought 02 LTC with about 8k miles on it, out in Boise ....2nd gear starts getting "crunchy" and hard to engage, next thing you know the ball is busted on the linkage and you are stuck in whatever gear.

I rode up to twin cycles in Boise in 2nd gear all the way (about 2 miles from my motel at the time) and they fixed me up. I always had it serviced at the dealer from there out.

I also purchased a complete factory set of linkage to carry with me, which I never used all the way to 135k miles of course :cool:

#15 ·
ldbikin said:
Thats what happened with my newly bought 02 LTC with about 8k miles on it, out in Boise ....2nd gear starts getting "crunchy" and hard to engage, next thing you know the ball is busted on the linkage and you are stuck in whatever gear.

I rode up to twin cycles in Boise in 2nd gear all the way (about 2 miles from my motel at the time) and they fixed me up. I always had it serviced at the dealer from there out.

I also purchased a complete factory set of linkage to carry with me, which I never used all the way to 135k miles of course :cool:
Well, that sounds like my luck. I just paid nearly $400 for extended warranty for my laptop, and I'll probably never need it. :rolleyes:

I might be interested in buying your extra linkage if you want to part with it. :D

#16 ·
I have that once in a while, even with pre-loading...but NEVER have it if I run her to 4,000 or more before the 1-2 upshift.

#17 ·
In 1st...
I bring it up to 4000 and it feels like there is no clutch and Im shift without a clutch. Its ruff and not smooth at all.

Get this.. I turn that little screw (grub screw) on the clutch handle a little and pulled on the clutch.. the clutch got stuck, and I shifted into 1st and 2ed at a stop... it would not engage or move the bike when the clutch was out. I backed it out about 1/3 turn and its working again. but it just dont feel right.

Any info on that screw on the inside of the clutch handle???

I just looked it up .. they call it a "Grub Screw" :histerica wow...

#18 · (Edited)
That is not a grub screw. That is an adjusting screw for free play in the lever. It has no real bearing on clutch movement unless you don't adjust it correctly. Illustration is the brake but t is the same for the clutch side.

First gear is good up to about 62 mph then you hit the rev limiter. If you are new to the LT it takes a while to master smooth shifting. I always preload the lever(shift) with my toe before I roll the throttle off and pull the clutch and she will just pop right into the next gear.

Attachments

#19 ·
jzeiler said:
That is not a grub screw. That is an adjusting screw for free play in the lever. It has no real bearing on clutch movement unless you don't adjust it correctly. Illustration is the brake but t is the same for the clutch side.

First gear is good up to about 62 mph then you hit the rev limiter. If you are new to the LT it takes a while to master smooth shifting. I always preload the lever(shift) with my toe before I roll the throttle off and pull the clutch and she will just pop right into the next gear.
Check out "part 13" in this list and you'll see that BMW calls it a "Grub Screw".

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated...=Single_parts,_clutch_fitting&bindCat=32_0929

its also call the same on the brake side.. "part 18"

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated..._parts,_parking_brake_fitting&bindCat=32_0930

I guess that my point is that you cant speed shift it at low RPMs..

#21 ·
Rashou812 said:
Check out "part 13" in this list and you'll see that BMW calls it a "Grub Screw".

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated...=Single_parts,_clutch_fitting&bindCat=32_0929

its also call the same on the brake side.. "part 18"

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated..._parts,_parking_brake_fitting&bindCat=32_0930

I guess that my point is that you cant speed shift it at low RPMs..

OK fair enough the parts list calls it a grub screw but that is usually a term BMW uses for the little cover screw on the bleed port on the clutch line. The BMW manual calls it an adjusting screw.

Shift linkage maintenance is always a good thing as the ball studs come loose they will snap off.

#22 ·
jzeiler said:
OK fair enough the parts list calls it a grub screw but that is usually a term BMW uses for the little cover screw on the bleed port on the clutch line. The BMW manual calls it an adjusting screw.

Shift linkage maintenance is always a good thing as the ball studs come loose they will snap off.
Just did the Shift linkage & balls. Just clean all them..when I was doing the O2 sensor in that area..

#23 · (Edited)
#24 ·
Had the same issue, took it in to the dealer and was able to talk with one of the Service Techs about the issue he made a simple suggestion change the gear box lube to a synthetic his reasoning was that the synthetic was quite a bit more slippery and doesn't break down like normal gear lube, I have no idea if his reasoning was correct but it did fix the issue haven't had a issue with shifting since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.