BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just bought an 05 with low miles. Previous owner replaced the windshield. The right upper wind deflector is discolored and stands out big time. Looking for an oem replacement and can't seem to find it on ebay or in parts catalogues. Trying to avoid going through dealer. My questions:

What is the thing officially called and can you recommend a place for me to buy it from.

Totally love the bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just ordered two replacement windshields from ceebaileys.com
One for a Goldwing and one for K1100lt. if you check on their web-site from time to time you can really get a good deal. We recieved a 25% off the entire order, which equaled to free shipping, for two windshields..good luck:)

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Upper wind deflectors

Here

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k12lt.html

Beemer boneyard has two sets.

You have to take the windshield off and then the panel under the shield mount arms. The deflectors are attached with two screws on the bottom side.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My upper wind deflectors on my 2000 LT discolored to a slight yellow-brown haze. I tried rubbing toothpaste on the surfaces and to my surprise it worked.
Apparently the toothpaste is a very mild abrasive that removes the offending surface haze. Suggestion: try using the toothpaste, it might work on your deflectors and won't harm them - you'll wonder where the yellow went!.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I hear if you use flavored toothpaste, it brings them back to like-new, mint condition… :rolleyes:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would try the toothpaste or even something stronger like car paint rubbing compound first. IF that works I suggest using some of the "plastic restore" car polish for headlights to keep them looking clear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Toothpaste is a very good cleaner, I rode in the rain with leather gloves and ended up with black dye on my hands, washed hands with toothpaste and it cleaned them right up. My grand kid got tied up with a black magic marker, all over her face and toothpaste removed the ink Going to try it on my discolored upper wings also.

Dave
07 K1200LT

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Try Novus #1 first. If that doesn't work try novus #2. But try a small area first. The #2 is for fine to medium scratches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts