BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my "new upgraded improved" BMW CB installed on my 07 LT -- I can hear truckers on 19 VERY clearly -- when I PTT I can see the TX and bar indicator show on the display AND I can hear me in my headphones -- BUT AIN'T NOBODY TALKIN BACK TO ME -- I'll see how it goes with one of my riding buddies but I'm betting there is one of the many settings I have not gotten to yet --- got no idea what that dial set up is in the tank compartment !! LOL -- thnx, BTSOOM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
You are experiencing the same thinng I (and I suspect many others) have with the CB. I hear everyone loud and clear, but I had no come backs when I transmitted. I thnk the range for Tx is very low. Most CB info on the web points to the antenna and the mount to the bike and the ground plane, which I cannot define but is related to the fact that the bike does not provide a great base for transmission. My reading of lots of advice is go to a professional CB shop that has the equipment to test and tune your antenna and radio setup, ask em to look at your SWR. With lots of work and some mods to antenna you may be able to transmit a few yards :) but don't expect too much without a lot of fidling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Here's a thought.....the Push-to-talk button is connected properly, so the transmit light comes on. The microphone is *not* connected/functioning properly, so they don't hear anything you say. You are broadcasting silence.

Another possibility....they're ignoring you. You don't sound like one of them, so they don't want to be bothered.

If you know someone else fairly local who has a CB, or even a Ham radio operator could listen on their radios and tell you if you are transmitting audio.

...and as was mentioned by Laurence, if your antenna system isn't tuned properly, you won't be transmitting very far, and may damage your radio.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,338 Posts
I helped a rider here in the NorthWet with a Voice II and a BMW handlebar mounted CB (made by J&M). He had the same problem until he went to BMW and bought two new lower cords (from plug to helmet short cord). The pins are slightly different on the boom mic to CB. Ask your local store to let you try a cord and see if that fixes your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for these sugestions -- on Sunday I was with a pal on his HD and we read each other fine -- but I will get to a CB shop somewhere and do the tuning thing - also, I have the new lower cords in use --- wil advise, thnx, BTSOOM
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
Jimbo.. yup.. your reflectivity to the "sides" is good.. close in, bike to bike.. good...

No good for a "smokey check"...

A "ground plane" is a 90 degree from antenna conductive surface... for instance.. the big trucks move their antennas to the side mirrors so the get good "reflectivity" off the nose of the truck and can still "talk" behind themselves due to the large sides of the truck.

On a car, the center of the roof makes best sense and performs best.

On a bike.. well.... just doesn't cut it..

If you want to get range out the "front" of the bike, an antenna mounted there will help... but will look bad.

Here is a "test"... go buy an "emergency" hand-held CB.. or a toy one from some toy-store...that transmits on a CB channel. Have a patient friend walk a 360 degree circle around the bike while you are stationary in a parking lot... while you transmit/receive from them and you'll see there are "hot" and cold spots...

Finally, the SWR is crucial to a good "wave" from your bike/antenna... you cannot just "plug-n-go" because I've NEVER seen a CB work out of the box... it must be "tuned."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea for a test -- will do.

But I gotta say, out of the box -- both of my GL Honda CBs were fantastic. The J&M on my RSV was near perfect -- and Lord help me for saying this, but (gulp) the one on my 06 HD Ultra CVO was really nice. Will keep ya posted -- BTSOOM


cfell said:
Jimbo.. yup.. your reflectivity to the "sides" is good.. close in, bike to bike.. good...

No good for a "smokey check"...

A "ground plane" is a 90 degree from antenna conductive surface... for instance.. the big trucks move their antennas to the side mirrors so the get good "reflectivity" off the nose of the truck and can still "talk" behind themselves due to the large sides of the truck.

On a car, the center of the roof makes best sense and performs best.

On a bike.. well.... just doesn't cut it..

If you want to get range out the "front" of the bike, an antenna mounted there will help... but will look bad.

Here is a "test"... go buy an "emergency" hand-held CB.. or a toy one from some toy-store...that transmits on a CB channel. Have a patient friend walk a 360 degree circle around the bike while you are stationary in a parking lot... while you transmit/receive from them and you'll see there are "hot" and cold spots...

Finally, the SWR is crucial to a good "wave" from your bike/antenna... you cannot just "plug-n-go" because I've NEVER seen a CB work out of the box... it must be "tuned."
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
Between the CB bull$*)* and the foggy windshield I am about ready to sell this beast and get an Ultra............... :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
Have to agree. My wings CB's were always flawless and had great range, but none of them beat my Ultra for distance and clarity. Most truckers didn't know I was talking on a little radio. The one on my LT...practically useless. I have had truckers ask...no order me, to shut up and take my radio to the shop, cause it sounded like crap and the trucks were no more than 100 yds away from me. I went to a CB shop and the guy said, "OK, so where is the CB?" I pointed to the unit mounted atop my clutch reserve and he said, "No, not the controls, the CB. Where is it located?" So, I don't know if the stuff they need to get to in order to tune the CB are somewhere else on the bike, or if what you see is what you get on the handlebar? In either case he wasn't going to start pulling off plastic to start looking for it...for TWO reasons. So, how do they tune a BMW CB?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
I ajusted (tuned) the SWR but it was hook into where the CB antenna cable hooks to the CB cable from the radio in the Midland I am trying to use. But I do not know where the stock cable from the antenna meets the radio. With any luck it is on the frame under the seat or around the gas tank area that would not make you take the tupperware off.....

Wish I could help but surely some one here has tuned their SWR on the stock set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I have been having CB problems also. I can receive but not transmit, I think the PT button is on the fritz. Any suggestions as a replacement?

As to the tunning, the cable is along the left inside of the area under the seat near the front of the bike. There is a coupling that you unscrew and attach the SWR meter for tunning.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
cmabmwriders said:
I have been having CB problems also. I can receive but not transmit, I think the PT button is on the fritz. Any suggestions as a replacement?

As to the tunning, the cable is along the left inside of the area under the seat near the front of the bike. There is a coupling that you unscrew and attach the SWR meter for tunning.

Hopefully it had been working fine and something somewhere is loose. The mechinism is easy to get to. Just take the top tupperware off the left handle bar. I would try there first as that is where the PTT wiring hooks into the factory wiring.

If it has never been able to transmitt then welcome to the club of non working cb's on a BMW LT :cool: :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
cmabmwriders said:
I have been having CB problems also. I can receive but not transmit, I think the PT button is on the fritz. Any suggestions as a replacement?

As to the tunning, the cable is along the left inside of the area under the seat near the front of the bike. There is a coupling that you unscrew and attach the SWR meter for tunning.
Okay, they can get to the connection to check the SWR, but where do they go from there to correct it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Tuning of a CB antenna typically involves lengthening or shortening the radiating element. At the base of the antenna, maybe under that plastic coil cover, is probably a set-screw that holds the whip to the coil. Loosen the screw, pull the whip out a little and tighten screw. Check SWR again at that setting. If it needed to be shortened rather than lengthened, the SWR would have gotten worse by lengthening it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
I have heard that the problem with the LT antenna is that it is about 5" too short for CB waves. Can anyone varify this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
Lonewuff said:
I have heard that the problem with the LT antenna is that it is about 5" too short for CB waves. Can anyone varify this?

I do not have the answer to your question but would like to know as well. The K1200LT has got to be the worst touring bike to get a CB of any type to work properly. It is a very frustrating ordeal. :confused:

If I get mine working I will sure let everyone know. That is if it works before I trade the beast........... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GBaker said:
Between the CB bull$*)* and the foggy windshield I am about ready to sell this beast and get an Ultra............... :mad:
(LOUD SCREAM) Brother, IMHO, and my $120,000 worth of HD experiences over the years --- HD is crap --- unless you want to pose and shine. But if you were attracted to the LT for "riding" then hang in there -- we'll find a way to get these suckers tuned!!! BTSOOM
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
I sure hope so. I came from a Road King to the LT. Did 4,980 miles in 9 days in an Iron Butt run and was glad for the ride.

All the technology in this ride to have these issues with a CB as well as the seemingly lack of customer service on the part of BMW relating to it has been a major disappointment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
696 Posts
I have a J&M CB2003 installed on my 2001LT and it works just fine. Range is about 5 miles including transmit. I purchased a cheap SWR meter from Fry's electronics.

The biggest problem during the install is getting a good ground. If you don't get a good ground, you will receive, but not transmit well. The CB antenna base needs a good connection to the bike frame. Scrape off / remove the paint from the mounting plate on the frame side and from around the antenna mounting bolts and use Star washers. Also be sure to remove the paint from the bolt threads. I used a conductive paste between the LT frame plate and the LT CB antenna mounting bracket (after removing the paint and other crap.



I am connected into the LT's stereo and even added the CFRG (cell fone, Radar and GPS adapter).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
287 Posts
rspyder said:
I have a J&M CB2003 installed on my 2001LT and it works just fine. Range is about 5 miles including transmit. I purchased a cheap SWR meter from Fry's electronics.

The biggest problem during the install is getting a good ground. If you don't get a good ground, you will receive, but not transmit well. The CB antenna base needs a good connection to the bike frame. Scrape off / remove the paint from the mounting plate on the frame side and from around the antenna mounting bolts and use Star washers. Also be sure to remove the paint from the bolt threads. I used a conductive paste between the LT frame plate and the LT CB antenna mounting bracket (after removing the paint and other crap.



I am connected into the LT's stereo and even added the CFRG (cell fone, Radar and GPS adapter).

Glad to hear some one is "on the air". Do you use headset and the left handle PTT button or a conventional handheld mike?

Thanks

Gene
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top