BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As most of you know, LAF joined up with me and my wife at Hill City, SD on Thursday. Well, sad to say, LAF's trip has been cut short. On Saturday, while riding to the Badlands, LAF somehow went off the road and into a large ditch. He's banged up, but won't be riding for a while - fractured right wrist and left leg/ankle. He also has a non-displacement fracture of the C2 vertebra, lacerations and sutures to the left upper cheek and left ear. He also has a large abrasion to the top of his left shoulder and a cracked rib. He was taken by ambulance to the Rapid City Regional Hospital. Saturday night, surgery was done on his right wrist.

After seeing him off in the ambulance I stayed with his bike until a recovery man showed up with a covered trailer to take his bike. It took the driver, two state troopers and me to get it into the trailer. In a simple word, his bike is, "totaled." The frame has shifted about three to four inches to the left and is pressing down on the rear tire. We had to let air out of the tire so the wheel would turn. It was taken to a garage near Wall. I recovered everything I could and loaded it on my RT and rode into Rapid City and stayed with LAF until he came out of surgery and was admitted to a semi-private room. I got back to our campsite a little after midnight.

We visited LAF in the hospital today and are in the process of contacting his insurance agent and making arrangements for him to get a flight home. He's in pretty good spirits, all things considered. We dropped off some clothes and his laptop so he should be able to read any PMs that you might send or comments to this thread. However, I'm not sure whether the hospital has wifi.

I am anticipating quite a few questions and I will field them as best I can via PMs or replies to this post that have Tracus in the subject line.

The recap of the accident: A newly paved road with a sharp berm dropping three inches to loose soil. There was no shoulder. No wind gusts, no tar snakes. I was traveling the posted speed of 65 and LAF was doing 62-64. Because he was behind me, I did not witness the accident. It appears the bike dropped off the road and LAF did his best to hold a straight line and get back onto the pavement. Loose soil caused the bike to continue on a downward traverse until something happened to the front wheel causing the bike to cartwheel (flip) forward. LAF was launched forward and free of the bike. The bike landed on the rear rack and left the rack embedded into the ground. There was quite an impact crater. The bike then landed back on its wheels and continued on a course 45 degrees to the right of LAF's trajectory. The bike ended up on its right side about 25 feet from LAF. LAF was in full gear: half helmet, riding jacket and pants, boots and gloves.

A young couple who were passing by were the first on the scene. The husband was calling 911. His wife and I ran down to LAF and told him not to move. I went over and turned his bike off. (It was not running.) By the time I got back to LAF, two more people had arrived, they were tourists but are also first responders with a ski patrol unit and had a well stocked first aid kit. EMTs and two state troopers arrived within 15 minutes. Pretty amazing considering where we were. A paramedic arrived and finally the ambulance. LAF was hospital bound in approximately an hour.

Odd observations: his Zumo 660 was still working, the right turn signal would not turn off, there is grass caught between the rim and the bead of the front tire, the front tire is not flat, the left side case opened and closed after his bag liner was ejected in mid-flight. The engine actually started and we used reverse, first gear and man power to get it into the recovery trailer.

Ann and I have extended our stay at Hill City and are prepared to stay another night if needed until LAF has everything squared away.

So there you have it.

"Let's be careful out there."
Sgt. Phil Esterhaus, Hill Street Precinct

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Wow.. sorry for the trouble for LAF.. glad you guys were with him... even tho it is a hard thing to see, especially a friend, hurting.

Thanks for posting.. and keeping us up to speed on LAF...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed. Sorry for your luck LAF. Things will get better. I prefer for the most part riding alone, but glad he wasn't here.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry this had to happen to you LAF, but I'm sure you are in good hands with Tracus with you. My hope for a fast recovery and prayers go out to you...

·
Registered
220 Posts
LAF
Holding a good thought for you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hang in there, LAF. My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry to hear of LAF's accident and we hope he will recover swiftly and well. He is very fortunate to have friends like you Chris, to help and stick by. Also, it is so gratifying to hear of the number of trained first responders and paramedics that are out there on the road to lend assistance. It just makes life safer for all of us. Kudos to all of them.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Chris, please pass our hopes for a rapid recovery on to Lee. And he should be glad he was ATGATT, even if there were some serious injuries. At least he still has a brain! And probably a lot less road rash than he would have suffered otherwise. This also points out the fact that it really is great to ride with friends when possible, because you never know when it might just reach up and surprise you! Glad that you were there to assist.

Lee should be thinking about the new ride: 1600cc maybe?

John

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Wow, I just read his last post from his trip and now this one. Prayers sent out and it's good to know that there was another rider with him.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
All the best wishes to you LAF for a speedy and complete recovery.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Lee,

Sorry to hear of it. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Bummer , ... but , he was lucky that you were along . Hopefully LAF will make a full recovery .

·
Registered
910 Posts
Take care and mend well.
Sorry to hear of this..
My prayers go out to you and yours

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Lee, I am incredibly sorry for your vacation ride mis-hap and can only pray for your complete recovery. What a terrible experience, my thoughts go out to you and your family,
God Bless.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lee

Get well soon. Let me know if I can be of any (sorta local) assistance to you from up here in Allentown.

I hear a faint "K1600GTL" being mumbled from somewhere.

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although I'm new to the forum I want to add my "Get Well" wishes and pray for a speedy recovery!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts