BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my first set of Avon tires on my 02 and still love them. There was some discussion in a former thread about air pressure in these tires. I just received e-mail for Avon technical dept. which said to maintain 40 PSI in front and 44 in rear.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just received e-mail for Avon technical dept. which said to maintain 40 PSI in front and 44 in rear.
Thanks for sharing. I have been running 42 in the Storm 2 on the front. The rear is a Metz and I run 46. I will bring the front down to 40 per their recommendation.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks Notahog. To confirm, the Avon tire pressures recommended for the LT were for the Storm 3D XM?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just got an email back about the Storm 2 Ultra on the LT and their response was,

"I would maintain 42psi in the front and 44psi in the rear. As we all know how heavy this bike is and to ensure best mileage and stability, this will work best for you."​

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got an email back about the Storm 2 Ultra on the LT and their response was,

"I would maintain 42psi in the front and 44psi in the rear. As we all know how heavy this bike is and to ensure best mileage and stability, this will work best for you."​
Like I said they told me for the 3D-XM 40 front and 44 rear. Maybe I will try to run 41 (average) in the front. Of course I wish that I could find a pressure gauge that I trusted to be+/- 1 PSI. Of course that would probably be an entirely new thread.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Like I said they told me for the 3D-XM 40 front and 44 rear. Maybe I will try to run 41 (average) in the front. Of course I wish that I could find a pressure gauge that I trusted to be+/- 1 PSI. Of course that would probably be an entirely new thread.
It is all together possible that the tire pressure recommendations would be different for the Storm 2 and the 3D. I just thought I would add what I had found out about the Storm 2.

Realistically we aren't running around a track at 200+ MPH so I highly doubt a couple PSI is going to make a real difference.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
Remember that is a starting pressure, go for the 10% increase from cold to hot. It will differ based on weight of the rider and load out. If they are radials shoot for 6-10 PSI increase.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
Remember that is a starting pressure, go for the 10% increase from cold to hot. It will differ based on weight of the rider and load out. If they are radials shoot for 6-10 PSI increase.
I like your method John.

My experience with racing tires is that with bias ply tires you have a wider pressure variance that the tire will tolerate than with radial tires. Radial tires depend on a certain air pressure for the side wall to perform the way the manufacturer designed it to.

The window on the air pressure adjustment on our racing radial tires is much less than it is on our bias ply tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts