1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have often wondered about using some sort of gyroscope in a heavy bike like an LT to aid in stabilizing the bike, not necessarily to make it stand by itself but to 'take away' some of the top-heaviness for easier handling. I wish I was clever and mechanically inclined enough to try something, but to me, that thing is not a motorcycle, it is a two-wheeled car.

·
Registered
637 Posts
From my physics background, I know the capabilities and limitations of gyroscopes. It isn't obvious to me how they can generate a static moment around a longitudinal axis such as would be created if you held your tongue too far to one side at a stop llight.........

I'm saving my investment money.

·
Registered
989 Posts
niel_petersen said:
... I'm saving my investment money.
Plus, I am not sure how it aligns with the need of a motorcycle to lean through turns.
Unlike a Segway-like platform, a bike must lean at speed to avail itself of traction.

Ultimately, this whole idea is a solution in search of a problem. I like the hype, though: "A safer motorcycle". As if the danger of a motorcycle was in the fact it tips over. Not in running out of trajectory in turn or in colliding with another vehicle.

·
Registered
637 Posts
rdwalker said:
"running out of trajectory in turn"
A very good term....

In Japan, they have a zillion small motor scooters that have two back wheels maybe 10 inches apart which are an independently sprung unit, connected to the rest of the scooter with what must be a stiff rubber coupling. Housewives then don't have to hold them up at a stop light, but can still lean thru the turns.

They are very popular - anybody know who makes them? and what are they like to ride?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
niel_petersen said:
A very good term....

In Japan, they have a zillion small motor scooters that have two back wheels maybe 10 inches apart which are an independently sprung unit, connected to the rest of the scooter with what must be a stiff rubber coupling. Housewives then don't have to hold them up at a stop light, but can still lean thru the turns.

They are very popular - anybody know who makes them? and what are they like to ride?
There are a few out Honda makes one called a Gryo and MotoMojo Tri-Elite 150 scooter are two examples. Quick video of the latter, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hOA2C_XMA&feature=related

1 - 6 of 6 Posts