BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Those tires are part of the problem [IMO] I'm on PR 4 GT's currently and will soon be moving to PR 5 GTs. They're specifically designed for heavier bikes like the RT. Over the years, I've run tires because friends have suggested I try them.

I'm done playing the tire game because I've learned to stick with the performance - not necessarily the longest lasting tires - and I honestly couldn't care less about what I pay for the tires. I ride fairly aggressively and I ride slightly longer distances than the average rider.

Road handling is most important to me. Low end tires like the Shinko's simply don't offer the same performance as higher end tires.

Replace them with higher end tires and you change the bike significantly.

Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT Review

Revzilla Review
I was about to say what you just wrote, tires are not all the same. Some will affect the bike's handling more than others.

·
Registered
2019 R1250rt
97 Posts
A late starter but I have been riding for years with the grips it seems. Recently I changed to using the body and it's made a huge difference to my riding. It's as though this bike rides itself and we are the passenger.

I've been practicing in (nearly deserted and with gentle curves) tunnel roads with no hands and it's helped get that body feel to alter course without hand pressure. On the open road and in curves that means for me the ride is very different (and better).

Not sure of the cross wind on other bikes...I've mostly only owned R1200/1250rt. Yes you get a feel for it after a while I guess.

What I did notice is I changed to the Werks Quiet ride screen and it made a huge difference (for me) in comfort. Buffering nearly gone and much quieter. I notice without the Top Box that also reduces the buffer but not enough for me to not use it most times.

Currently 2019 R1250rt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Put the first 1000 miles on my new to me ‘14 RT and compared to both my ‘14 FJR and ‘06 RT Police bike it does seem twitchier in traffic and the wind. It’s not bad or worrisome just slightly more noticeable. Sort of surprised me because the bike looks so aerodynamic. I wouldn’t worry about it may just be the nature of the beast. Ride it enough and you’ll probably stop noticing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always preferred using the small top case. The large presents a massive amount of surface area and weight, which is somewhat above and behind the rear wheel. In this configuration I've encountered some rather brisk cross winds and managed quite well.

Blair

it is honestly driving me crazy though. I’m not sure if I’m ready to except the fact that this is just how it is on an RT. I figured BMWs touring machine would run straight as an arrow no matter what kind of turbulence there is. And it’s not crosswind, because I’ve experienced that on this bike and it handles Crosswinds brilliantly. It currently has a set of Shinko tires on it. It’s about to get a set of Michelin ‘s. But I’m still not convinced that is going to change this situation

·
Registered
10 Posts
Morning All!

I am the proud owner of a second hand 08 RT. I am getting used to the handling of the sport tourer. I have spent the last 6 years on an F800 GS. I'm sure this question has been thrown around before, but I am curious to prod the great minds of the RT world.

I currently have the stock windscreen, and the massive BMW top case mounted on the back of the bike. Tires are all the correct pressure with good tread.

Maybe it is something that I have to get used to, but it isn't confidence inspiring. When in the straight bits on the road, especially on the interstate, I feel like the bike is "busy". Every side wind gust or pocket of "rough" air, causes the bike to "twitch" one way or the other.

I'm not sure if it is just the fact that the bike is super nimble and sensitive to cross wind, or if it is some unwanted side effect from the massive top case and the gap between myself and the case.

I don't notice it as much, if any, in curves. Just the straight bits. I've not experienced this on my GS before.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
I experienced the same issue on a nearly new 2014 R1200RT with the large squarish BMW top box, even in just a small crosswind. Tried a much more rounded Givi box and the problem went away. Immediately sold the BMW box.

·
Registered
2008 R1200RT / 2010 F800GS / 2004 F650 GS / 1995 Honda GL1500 SE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I experienced the same issue on a nearly new 2014 R1200RT with the large squarish BMW top box, even in just a small crosswind. Tried a much more rounded Givi box and the problem went away. Immediately sold the BMW box.
I love the large top case, but I'm going to ride without it this weekend and see what happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update:

So I replaced the cheapo Shinko tires that came on the bike with a set of Michelin Pilot Road 5 tires. Night and day difference. Feeling much more confident now! Even with a good 25 mph cross wind, turbulence from traffic, and not the best road conditions, it was confidence inspiring!

Now I know what the bike is supposed to feel like!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Sounds like you're good to go now. One tip I got from David Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling, was to be alert and make corrections w/ countersteering action, subtle of course. This really can help w/ gusting crosswinds, overpasses and big trucks on the windward side. I did a 10K mile trip on my RT when I first go it and one full day was crosswinds from 30-45mph thru Minnesota. We got thru it fine of course but it was a bit unnerving, esp those overpasses w/ high sidewalls!

Reactions: erikwillie00

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Height, weight, aerodynamics. I went from a 1600 Nomad to the RT. The one thing the Nomad was better at was cross winds. It is heavier and lower. I've also noticed it's worse with the topcase on. Being tall and tall in the saddle doesn't help me either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Height, weight, aerodynamics. I went from a 1600 Nomad to the RT. The one thing the Nomad was better at was cross winds. It is heavier and lower. I've also noticed it's worse with the topcase on. Being tall and tall in the saddle doesn't help me either.
AS much as I like the massive top case, I think that is one of the contributing factors. I may just have to retrain myself and get used to it. I am 6 ft 3 and sit fairly tall. Thinking maybe an aftermarket windscreen to direct the airflow may work as well. It'll be a learning curve for sure!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
AS much as I like the massive top case, I think that is one of the contributing factors. I may just have to retrain myself and get used to it. I am 6 ft 3 and sit fairly tall. Thinking maybe an aftermarket windscreen to direct the airflow may work as well. It'll be a learning curve for sure!
I am 6'5 and 34" inseam. Not a stick figure either. It doesn't help, but a lower heavier bike won't get pushed around as much. I use a Calsci XL. Much better than stock, but it doesn't help the cross wind stuff.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts