BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new battery was sitting with the battery charger for the last 3 days,today i decided to install new battery,,hooked up pos. touched neg. to terminal and she wanted to start,,i was not a happy camper,,started taking tupper ware off when i remembered a little tip i read here turn key to on pos. hit starter button a few times,,, worked like a charm,,all set to ride this place is great

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Lenny...
Ya might want to be real careful that the solenoid doesn't stick again.. you can't do a lot about it other than replace it... and hope you don't get a "new defective"....

Now... you may get a lot more time out of the solenoid (relay), but if they stick once.. welllllll... let's hope it doesn't do a stick and go "china syndrome" on you ...

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
cfell said:
Lenny...
Ya might want to be real careful that the solenoid doesn't stick again.. you can't do a lot about it other than replace it... and hope you don't get a "new defective"....

Now... you may get a lot more time out of the solenoid (relay), but if they stick once.. welllllll... let's hope it doesn't do a stick and go "china syndrome" on you ...
Just a couple of points of clarification.
  • The relay contacts weld due to the heat generated by the current of a locked starter caused by a low battery. If you can unstick the contacts with the method of tapping the starter button a few times once a good battery is in place, you won't have a problem again until you try to start it with a low battery.
  • The replacement starter relay is equipped with a low voltage cutout and will not actuate when the battery is below a certain threshold - preventing the 'welded' contacts with the older design. The new version of the starter relay has been in the bikes since VIN number ZD 77402. The new relay retrofit kit part number is 61 35 7 663 945.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought a used 99LT from a guy and I think he used the cash from the sale to pay the starter replacement bill ,he said it was $1100 parts and labor (this he told me after our transaction ) 1 year later the relay stuck ,what a panick ! but it unstuck it self .Out came the old relay ,some one had opened it and unstuck it before it looked like , replace with ford pu relay and transplant flyback diode from OE relay (flyback diode is inside old relay across coil leads , it is there to stop the inductive kick from the collapsing coil field spiking the control switch /motronic ).
It looks like the starter is down deep inside and has a tough life being the reverse motor also .
I did not even think about touching the start button until relay replacement . Push start or trailer home but not another flirt with bad fate .

Bob G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts