BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a converted Gold Wing / Harley rider who bought an '09 K1200LT last week. It has a bracket mounted on the tank cover with two wires and before removing it I am trying to determine if i could replace the device, hopefully with a GPS. Howerver, information on this site and Garmin-related sites donesn't show a a GPS (or any other product) that would appear to fit this bracket nor to connect to the wiring.

This site is awesome. I have read numerous strings as I researched the BMW experience and machines for several months before reaching the decision to move from Harley. Been an Ultra rider for years.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
That is the base bracket for the BMW Garmin, there are another couple parts missing so that is why it looks a little strange. The wires are also for the Garmin and integerated it into the comm system. Looks like the PO took the gramin, it can be used anywhere.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congrats on the new LT.

As stated above, the photo shows the GPS mount and cables. The 2009 LT uses the BMW Motorrad Navigator III GPS. This unit is no longer sold by BMW (or Garmin), but you can buy used if you search BMW forums and eBay. This is how I located one for my '09 LT.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/bmwNavigatorIII/

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well wear on your LT Geoff. The BMW Nav ll or lll will fit on there with their own cradles. The Nav lll is better. The plug you have will go straight on to either. If you decide to go for one and get it with no cradle (which can happen) give me a PM. I have a brand new spare.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Waterprofessional said:
Thanks so much, Gentlemen! I will look for a Nav III. Awesome owner's site!!
As the other folks said and I missed Welcome. Hang around and ask away. Also take a look at the Hall of Wisdom, it is a drop down under Technical at the top of the page.

HTH :wave

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
Bob,

Lucky for you the BMW mount for the GPS unit has a very popular bolt hole pattern that fits
many Garmin holders for various GPS units. The round plug carries power and the flat
tapered fitting is specific to the BMW Nav units.

I personally run a Garmin 376c unit (discontinued) but like it more than the current Nuvi units
since it is a marine / auto unit it is totally water proof, the display is bright and the quality of
the map image is far better than the Nuvi series. There is of course many draw backs to this
unit. These units do not compare with all the bells and whistles that the Nuvi's have.

Go to MAXBMW and look up your year and model bike for the parts listing and you will see a
cover for the black plastic, bolts and nuts that will complete the mount.

Below are picts of my 2009 LT with the same mount you have only with my 376c mounted!!
I don't use the flat tapered plug so I just tuck it away. This wiring is connected to the bike
and will turn off then the key is taken out - I believe!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts