BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week while in northern Ontario Canada I experienced catastrophic failure of the wheel bearings on my Uni-Go trailer. Only had about 40-50 pounds in it and was riding two up at about 60 mph. Trailer started weaving side to side so I pulled over almost immediately. The wheel was very loose so I continued at a VERY slow speed about 1/2 mile to a service station (lucky one was nearby). I removed the wheel and the bearings were completely gone, balls rolled out and the races where almost unrecognizable. I had to leave the trailer and continue the trip to home and then return (800 miles round trip) in my truck to retrieve the trailer.

Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? The bearings are ball type, is this appropriate for wheel bearings? As opposed to roller type typical in cars.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
grifscoots said:
The stock bearings aren't that great. I'd also look at putting a new universal joint in the hitch, but be warned, a vise was broken at my house trying to get the OEM out.

The bearing is a 6301-2RS (2RS means rubber on each side). The
dimensions are 12x37x12mm. You can order a spare set by going onto
Google. http://bearingsdirect.com/products/
Thanks for the tip, Grif. I just ordered 10 of them so if anyone here in TX needs some, they'll be closer than waiting for delivery from California.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Thanks for the tip, Grif. I just ordered 10 of them so if anyone here in TX needs some, they'll be closer than waiting for delivery from California.
Hey Tony, I am so glad you are not over ordering...:rolleyes: :D

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Hey Tony you going into the BMW/ Uni-Go repair bidness :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
grifscoots said:
Watch him have ordered all they have in stock *evil snicker*
Mwa-ha-ha :stir:

I wanted a spare set or two, and I believe brother Grif has a skittle as do friends Stephen (BustedKnuckles) and Bill (BulletBill). That Shreeve dude bought a heather two-wheeled trailer, so it just means more bearings for the rest of us. :histerica

·
Registered
370 Posts
dpmartin said:
Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? The bearings are ball type, is this appropriate for wheel bearings? As opposed to roller type typical in cars.
Just curious. What year is your trailer? Is it an original New Zealand unit or one manufactured by the U.S. manufacturer - Schoolhouse Motorcycle?

I have had one on order for twelve weeks now. Still waiting.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Mine is a Kiwi. The gent I bought it from replaced the bearings just before he shipped it to me, said he noticed they didn't look right so he replaced them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Recently bought a NZ model Uni-go from a GW'er that was hardly used. The body is at the paint shop being color matched now. Took the opportunity to be proactive and replace bearings and u-joint while I had it apart. I have replaced bearing and u-joints before, so no big deal. The u-joint on this trailer was the first one I was unable to remove. Neither vise nor u-joint removal tool would budge it. Had to take it to a local shop and have them press it out for twenty dollars. I actually thought something broke when they put the hydraulic press on it, due to the noise it produced when it popped out. Used a NAPA u-joint and visited local bearing shop for replacement/upgrade of bearings.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

grifscoots said:
The stock bearings aren't that great. I'd also look at putting a new universal joint in the hitch, but be warned, a vise was broken at my house trying to get the OEM out.

The bearing is a 6301-2RS (2RS means rubber on each side). The
dimensions are 12x37x12mm. You can order a spare set by going onto
Google. http://bearingsdirect.com/products/

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Did a little shoping

Looks like the bearing: 6301-2RS

Is very common - so common in fact that you can by 10 on eBay shipped for less than $17.00 - so lets see thats $1.70 each

Hmmm . . . .

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wheel Bearings

No one has mentioned this so I will. I installed bearing buddies on both wheels so they get greased all the time.

Cheers, Bill

05 Ocean Blue
K1200LT

·
Registered
510 Posts
NAPA part number # 210-0153. Found the part number by performing search request on the uni-go.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
dpmartin said:
What was the NAPA number for the u-joint, I may as well do that while I am at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts