BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Uni-Go Trouble

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  oknplm 
#1 ·
This past week while in northern Ontario Canada I experienced catastrophic failure of the wheel bearings on my Uni-Go trailer. Only had about 40-50 pounds in it and was riding two up at about 60 mph. Trailer started weaving side to side so I pulled over almost immediately. The wheel was very loose so I continued at a VERY slow speed about 1/2 mile to a service station (lucky one was nearby). I removed the wheel and the bearings were completely gone, balls rolled out and the races where almost unrecognizable. I had to leave the trailer and continue the trip to home and then return (800 miles round trip) in my truck to retrieve the trailer.

Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? The bearings are ball type, is this appropriate for wheel bearings? As opposed to roller type typical in cars.

#3 ·
grifscoots said:
The stock bearings aren't that great. I'd also look at putting a new universal joint in the hitch, but be warned, a vise was broken at my house trying to get the OEM out.

The bearing is a 6301-2RS (2RS means rubber on each side). The
dimensions are 12x37x12mm. You can order a spare set by going onto
Google. http://bearingsdirect.com/products/
Thanks for the tip, Grif. I just ordered 10 of them so if anyone here in TX needs some, they'll be closer than waiting for delivery from California.

#4 ·
deputy5211 said:
Thanks for the tip, Grif. I just ordered 10 of them so if anyone here in TX needs some, they'll be closer than waiting for delivery from California.
Hey Tony, I am so glad you are not over ordering...:rolleyes: :D

#9 ·
grifscoots said:
Watch him have ordered all they have in stock *evil snicker*
Mwa-ha-ha :stir:

I wanted a spare set or two, and I believe brother Grif has a skittle as do friends Stephen (BustedKnuckles) and Bill (BulletBill). That Shreeve dude bought a heather two-wheeled trailer, so it just means more bearings for the rest of us. :histerica

#10 ·
dpmartin said:
Has anyone else experienced this type of failure? The bearings are ball type, is this appropriate for wheel bearings? As opposed to roller type typical in cars.
Just curious. What year is your trailer? Is it an original New Zealand unit or one manufactured by the U.S. manufacturer - Schoolhouse Motorcycle?

I have had one on order for twelve weeks now. Still waiting.

#11 ·
Mine is a Kiwi. The gent I bought it from replaced the bearings just before he shipped it to me, said he noticed they didn't look right so he replaced them.

#12 ·
Recently bought a NZ model Uni-go from a GW'er that was hardly used. The body is at the paint shop being color matched now. Took the opportunity to be proactive and replace bearings and u-joint while I had it apart. I have replaced bearing and u-joints before, so no big deal. The u-joint on this trailer was the first one I was unable to remove. Neither vise nor u-joint removal tool would budge it. Had to take it to a local shop and have them press it out for twenty dollars. I actually thought something broke when they put the hydraulic press on it, due to the noise it produced when it popped out. Used a NAPA u-joint and visited local bearing shop for replacement/upgrade of bearings.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

grifscoots said:
The stock bearings aren't that great. I'd also look at putting a new universal joint in the hitch, but be warned, a vise was broken at my house trying to get the OEM out.

The bearing is a 6301-2RS (2RS means rubber on each side). The
dimensions are 12x37x12mm. You can order a spare set by going onto
Google. http://bearingsdirect.com/products/

#13 ·
Did a little shoping

Looks like the bearing: 6301-2RS

Is very common - so common in fact that you can by 10 on eBay shipped for less than $17.00 - so lets see thats $1.70 each

Hmmm . . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.