BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike will be in storage over the winter. No AC power. Any thoughts on the advantages of disconnecting the + vs - terminal?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Jason,

That will certainly eliminate the parasitic drain on the battery. You will have to reset your clock and I am not sure about the motronic computer.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
atrovarious said:
My bike will be in storage over the winter. No AC power. Any thoughts on the advantages of disconnecting the + vs - terminal?

Sent from my iPhone
Jason, you might as well remove the batery and keep it in a warmer storage place that stays above freezing point, then give it a good charge before re-installing for the riding season.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,942 Posts
+ 1 on pull it and keep it warm but if you leave it in it is always safer to disconnect the - terminal first, so there is your answer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My alternative point of view -

Keep the battery as cold yet charged as possible. Whatever you do, don't allow it to discharge & freeze. The reason to keep it chilled is the internal corrosion rate is cut in half every 20 degF you can reduce the temperature. As long as the battery remains charged, there will be no problem with freezing.

Do not overcharge it either. I suggest a cold storage & a Battery Tender or device with similar automatic logic to prevent overcharging. Don't use a simple trickle charger unless the charge rate is made to be very low - like 30 milli-amps or so because leaving the bike connected puts an unknown parasitic drain on the battery that must be made up by any trickle charger. If you don't use a Battery Tender or equal, to be really safe - monitor the battery voltage maybe monthly with a DVM. It should be about 13 volts. Not under 12.9 nor over ~13.6 V

I see now you don't have AC power. Remove it and put it in a cool spot & keep it charged. Or at least disconnect the battery if you can occasionally recharge it in the bike.:wave

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just don't take it out and place it on the garage or basemet floor, keep it on a shelf off the ground.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
atrovarious said:

Sent from my iPhone
Bad idea to leave the battery in the bike. Left connected, it will discharge quickly due to the constant drain the LT places on the battery. Likely will be dead within a month. Discharging a lead-acid battery like that and then leaving it will severly damage it and dramatically shorten its life.

Disconnecting the battery will greatly slow the discharge process, but most batteries still "self-discharge" at a fairly high rate (2 - 10% per week) and after several months will fall below the 10.6V level where serious and permanent damage commences.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone.htm

Much better to remove the battery and take it somewhere near AC power where you can store it connected to an intelligent battery maintainer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts