BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of my most recent ride, with my SO, I was stopped at a long light, waiting to make a left when the light changed. As I waited, my legs got very, very stressed, holding the bike upright w/ the pretty lady on the back. Isabelle is tall, but fairly petite(125-130 lbs).
I knew that, as I aged, I'd get weaker, but not so soon(68).
I have also noticed that I'm worn after riding 75miles or so.
So, I'm not able to 2up tour, as I bought this bike for.
It's time to downsize the bike.

I had craved this bike for 15yrs, since I first test rode on. I had an '84 Venture back then, & knew this was the technological advance for me. A lot has happened since then, but I got this LT about 18mo ago.

It was the absolute best early LT that I could find within 200miles, at that time. Since then, this forum & Kirk Johnson have helped me to maintain & update the bike just to my likings.

Unfortunately, my body is not coming along quite as well as I'd like.

So, it's sadly time to downsize my bike. I've already picked up a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE, to ease my ego. It's a great bike, but it'll never have the image or reputation of the LT. I had thought about getting a k1200gt. They are lighter & handle easier. but still have the dry clutch & little steering feedback. So, the SE will be my ride for a while, even though it has no where near the support network of the LT.

So, sadly I've listed my LT in classifieds & the local CL. I think I'll be selling the set of hypro springs & the nice set of ohlins, that I had planned to put on over the winter, separately.

This forum & the many, many who have guided & advised me will be missed, as I wish you all well.

Sometimes, aging sucks.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I seem to have the same aging problem as you and everyone else.:wink: Along with it the lack of super human strength I once had. Mine was just evident at an earlier age! The first 6 years I owned the LT seemed to be no problem with its weight. As time went on I would often think "man this LT must be gaining weight" rather than me getting weaker! The wife and I love the LT so much for traveling I just couldn't part with it and converted over to the trike. My shorter forays of usually 3 days or less are most often done on my RT but for longer trips you just can't beat the LT…….IMO :thumb:

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sold the LT to a nice guy, locally. One of the things that I emphasized to him is to register on this site, & make good use of it. I have had no bike that has a better support network, including this forum, than the LT.
I am riding the LT over to his home tomorrow, & turning it's ownership over to him.
So, I expect that all of you will be hearing from my LT's new owner in the near future.
Meanwhile, I'll still be around here too...

Reactions: saddleman

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
As I've read in BMW ON magazine about the virtues of strength training as we age (myself a spry 64, lol), I have embraced that thought/mandate to be able, year after year, to stay healthy and fit to do the things, and I did say things, plural, that I love. I feel very fortuanate to still be able to manage the bike(s), but also have put in a decent amount of time for physical upkeep. I'm certainly overweight, under-limber and all that goes with aging, so I'm not taking a stand on a soapbox, but just throwing out a reminder to all of us that enjoy the K1200LT, that being physically fit allows us to follow our passion.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
179 Posts
All I disagree with is that this is limited to the LT. We are all getting older, at some point even a R1200R will be too heavy. I see myself someday as the old, wrinkled guy on the two-fifty scooter. But, with hard work, we can delay that time. Besides the bike the exercise makes me feel better and makes my life better, being able to play with a (pseudo) grandkid even more important than riding for me. YMMV

As I've read in BMW ON magazine about the virtues of strength training as we age (myself a spry 64, lol), I have embraced that thought/mandate to be able, year after year, to stay healthy and fit to do the things, and I did say things, plural, that I love. I feel very fortuanate to still be able to manage the bike(s), but also have put in a decent amount of time for physical upkeep. I'm certainly overweight, under-limber and all that goes with aging, so I'm not taking a stand on a soapbox, but just throwing out a reminder to all of us that enjoy the K1200LT, that being physically fit allows us to follow our passion.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Other than this is an LT forum... I do mention bike(s). All mine are full fairing bikes. Agreed, all will become too heavy. Good topic to think about.

Have fun,
Jer
All I disagree with is that this is limited to the LT. We are all getting older, at some point even a R1200R will be too heavy. I see myself someday as the old, wrinkled guy on the two-fifty scooter. But, with hard work, we can delay that time. Besides the bike the exercise makes me feel better and makes my life better, being able to play with a (pseudo) grandkid even more important than riding for me. YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts