BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gentlemen, I now have more time to ride the LT and look for work. If anyone in the DFW area, or any other place for that matter, has any tips or suggestions, I would be most grateful.

My experience has been in banking/lending and my degree is in Accounting.

Thanks in advance,

James Hart

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,168 Posts
Sorry to hear, BTDT myself a while back, but now gainfully employed by Intuit who BTW has an office in Plano. Not sure what you do for a living but try their web site http://intuitcareers.com/ and see if there is anything that might work for you.
In the meantime enjoy the riding and time off...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
beemer100 said:
Well gentlemen, I now have more time to ride the LT and look for work. If anyone in the DFW area, or any other place for that matter, has any tips or suggestions, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

James Hart
Hey James - sorry to hear the news. Could be a plus tho, if the planets line up. Take a look thru the various webpages relating to Boerne. I think this area's population stands at around 8K, to include ETJs and some county numbers. We have (counting on my fingers) at least 16 banking institutions with brick and mortar locations, plus some outfits that park an ATM in lobbies of motels/hotels/convenience stores, etc. In addition, there are several mortgage lenders with Boerne offices.

Good luck with whatever comes your way, James. Stay in touch here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen for the words of encouragement and support. I know the Lord is in control and I pray for his guidance through this time.

Best regards,

James Hart

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
James;

Good luck to you and yours........will keep you in prayer loop..............jim

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ya ever thought about Switzerland?
Hell people in the banking sector earn obscene money around here even if they have mediocre skills.
Accounting degree? Wish I had one. :wave

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Sorry to hear about the lay-off. There seems to be more ads showing up in the DFW area for accountants and financial types. Keep looking. Get signed on Link-In and develop your networking skills. Maybe do some contract work or even some booking keeping for some small companies. If you do not have Quick Books experience, download a free version to your PC and add that skill set to what you already know. May small companies in the Fort Worth area are looking for part-time bookkeepers. Even somethng you can do when you find full-time work again.

If you have not alrady done so, get signed up with the Texas Workforce. Might as well draw your unemployment benefits. It not like having a regular paycheck, but it does help out.

Best of luck !

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
beemer100 said:

Thanks in advance,

James Hart
Hang in there, James. We ain't nearly done with this depression yet! Stay as busy as possible, even if you're only "making up" things to do, and fight though the depression every day. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi James -

I don't know you so please do not take this the wrong way, but if you have worked in accounting/finance and do not have a CPA or an MBA and are 40+, then you are probably in for some significant downtime - like 4-6 months minimum, and probably more like 6 - 12.

Your best bet is to contact former bosses and co-workers - get your name out there. Register with the big recruiters, but don't expect too much. They'll be placing the 25 - 30 somethings with MBAs and CPAs . What the recruiters are good for is interview practice.
Craigslist is also a good source for jobs - many larger companies post there. Check it every day and multiple times per day.

The other thing you should do if you don't already is exercise. Go to the gym, walk, ride a bike - burn some calories and get in shape. You have the time now! Getting interviews is going to be difficult, but when you do land one you'll want to go in looking your best and feeling confident. Exercising will help keep your mind right.

Finding a job is hard enough when you already have one. Employers will be wary of you just taking anything because you are unemployed. They will not let you take a lesser job because they fear you will "jump" as soon as something better comes along. You may get caught in the vicious circle of being both over-qualified (no entry level or junior positions) and under-qualified (no advanced degree) at the same time. They will use any excuse not to hire an older person.

You need to mentally prepare for the downtime - for as time goes on you will begin to question everything including yourself. You will be applying to jobs you know you are qualified for, yet you'll get no response. Saying don't get discouraged is easier said than done.

As a financial person I'm sure you have already calculated your burn rate with savings and identified items that need to be cut from the budget until you are employed again.

I don't mean to be negative, just realistic. I truly hope your luck changes soon and you find something that you truly enjoy.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everybody who has replied. Yes, I have signed up with TWC and have joined a networking group in Southlake (Southlake focus group) that is great. Trying to wean myself away from the computer and blasting resumes, to more of the networking approach.

Switzerland huh? I'll have to check that out. . : )

James

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wow! That was some pretty sound advice Ted. Well said!
Hang in there. My wife just came off from being out for a while. I know it sux.
Keith

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Ted said:
Hi James -

I don't know you so please do not take this the wrong way, but if you have worked in accounting/finance and do not have a CPA or an MBA and are 40+, then you are probably in for some significant downtime - like 4-6 months minimum, and probably more like 6 - 12.

Your best bet is to contact former bosses and co-workers - get your name out there. Register with the big recruiters, but don't expect too much. They'll be placing the 25 - 30 somethings with MBAs and CPAs . What the recruiters are good for is interview practice.
Craigslist is also a good source for jobs - many larger companies post there. Check it every day and multiple times per day.

The other thing you should do if you don't already is exercise. Go to the gym, walk, ride a bike - burn some calories and get in shape. You have the time now! Getting interviews is going to be difficult, but when you do land one you'll want to go in looking your best and feeling confident. Exercising will help keep your mind right.

Finding a job is hard enough when you already have one. Employers will be wary of you just taking anything because you are unemployed. They will not let you take a lesser job because they fear you will "jump" as soon as something better comes along. You may get caught in the vicious circle of being both over-qualified (no entry level or junior positions) and under-qualified (no advanced degree) at the same time. They will use any excuse not to hire an older person.

You need to mentally prepare for the downtime - for as time goes on you will begin to question everything including yourself. You will be applying to jobs you know you are qualified for, yet you'll get no response. Saying don't get discouraged is easier said than done.

As a financial person I'm sure you have already calculated your burn rate with savings and identified items that need to be cut from the budget until you are employed again.

I don't mean to be negative, just realistic. I truly hope your luck changes soon and you find something that you truly enjoy.

Hang in there!
Thanks Ted,

While not directed at me, it is the most succinct, realistic, no bull advice I have yet seen. I will print it out and keep in on my desk. I have ben unemployed for three weeks and it seems like eternity...

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi Wolfgang -
I am sorry to hear you are out also, but trust me I know how you feel. Jame's post hit home, for if you haven't guessed i am a finance guy sans CPA/MBA.

I was out most of 2010 - Feb thru Nov. I was also out for 6 months in 2008.

Ironically, I now have the best job I have ever had in my 30+ year career.

During this last round of early retirement, I sent out over 600 applications - yielding 3 interviews. In the end, a former boss called me out of the blue for a short-term consulting opportunity, and while working at that job, a company I had made a proposal to several months earlier was finally read to talk. My neighbor also works there, and he was the sole reason why I am there.

I had some very dark days, and even with support and encouragement from my wife it was still tough.

Things happen for reasons, and when I read Jame's post I thought my experience might help.

You hang in there, too!

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Ted said:
Hi Wolfgang -
I am sorry to hear you are out also, but trust me I know how you feel. Jame's post hit home, for if you haven't guessed i am a finance guy sans CPA/MBA.

I was out most of 2010 - Feb thru Nov. I was also out for 6 months in 2008.

Ironically, I now have the best job I have ever had in my 30+ year career.

During this last round of early retirement, I sent out over 600 applications - yielding 3 interviews. In the end, a former boss called me out of the blue for a short-term consulting opportunity, and while working at that job, a company I had made a proposal to several months earlier was finally read to talk. My neighbor also works there, and he was the sole reason why I am there.

I had some very dark days, and even with support and encouragement from my wife it was still tough.

Things happen for reasons, and when I read Jame's post I thought my experience might help.

You hang in there, too!
Good job, Ted. Way to hang tough through this depression.

A lot of us who have managed to keep a job have given major salary concessions. It's not nearly over, guys. Hang in there!

·
Registered
445 Posts
beemer100 said:
Thanks to everybody who has replied. Yes, I have signed up with TWC and have joined a networking group in Southlake (Southlake focus group) that is great. Trying to wean myself away from the computer and blasting resumes, to more of the networking approach.

Switzerland huh? I'll have to check that out. . : )

James
This is a great forum to check things out, lots of good people around.
http://www.englishforum.ch/

tip: Use the search button...little insider joke. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
PNC needs new loan officers. You could do it from texas even though they are based in Pittsburg :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts