BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was just wondering what you guys use as a cable to connect the helmets to that hook under the seat. Or, should I ask, do you use that hook under the seat to secure your helmet(s)?
Is there a cable designed just for this? I am somewhat worried about narfing the seat material too...

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 06 came with a thin cable with loops on the ends to put through the two helmets I use. I also carry a flexible bicycle cable about four feet long to run through the arms of the jackets if I feel the need to lock them up also. This cable will also connect to the under seat wire lock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, I was wondering if a cable was susposed to be included when I bought the bike.... seemed like it should be. I will have to ask the dealer about that. Maybe they discontinued it as standard equipment, to save money- hah

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having problems with narfing the seats. I use the cables as a backup but they have come in really handy on more than one occasion for a variety of gear.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My used '08 did not have the cable with it so I ordered it through my dealer. The cheapest part I have ever gotten for my LTs $5.40

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Took kit? 07 did not come with one - glad I kept the one from the (totalled) 02. No cable with the 07, either. Good to know they are cheap if I lose it. When we travel, all the luggage (and trailer AND racks) is FULL, to a method for securing helments is mandatory.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 05 came with that helmet cable (was in the tool kit). That cable is, well… rather underwhelming. I felt it could almost be cut with a pair of scissors (probably not).

So I went and got a plastic-coated coil-up bike cable/lock that I run through one of the side bag handles and through whatever I want to secure (through the full-face helmet opening, arm of a jacket, etc).

Since it’s normally in the tight coil state, when I tour, I carry it on top of the battery and the seat closes fine. I have the standard battery terminal cover and a folded shop rag/towel on the battery too.

Jon

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
bblalock said:
My used '08 did not have the cable with it so I ordered it through my dealer. The cheapest part I have ever gotten for my LTs $5.40
JUST ordered mine from BMW of Grand Rapids. Took him a while to find the darn thing- he suggested I purchase the License Plate helmet mount, or that Kryptonite thing instead for better security... (overkill me thinks)
Finally he found the part number and quoted me a price delivered to my door of $6.04!
Honest to God! It was really something from BMW under $300.00! Wow!
...and even less than that $12.00 nut/bolt that is mentioned on here somewhere!

I didn't op for the homemade cable job- only because I wanted to be sure it wouldn't have any burrs sticking out. I hate burrs

Hopefully the BMW cable will be nicely plastic coated.

Thanks for all the help- I feel better now! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts